Biosafety Cabinet Cleanning Validation

Eleyda

I have been requested to (re) validate our cleaning procedures for our BSC's. My supervisor wants some kind of controlled live organism we can use inside the hood and then clean it after to see if it truly was clean.

In in theory should be:

1.) regular cleaning

2.) surface sample of BSC

3.) usage of microorganism

4.) surface sample of BSC

5.) regular cleaning

6.) surface sample of BSC

My question is, how do I manipulate the microorganism? Is there anything I can prepare/buy for that matter? Is there any other way to do this ultimately?

Thanks!

If your cabinet is for sterile processing, I can see doing sterility studies. But I wouldn't purposely infect it, just to see if you could kill it all. The disinfectant manufacturer may be able to provide you with their validation, which will be more extensive than what you would do.

If your cabinet is being used for worker protection, I would certify the airflow and HEPA filter and make sure your procedures are being followed. You would do sterility studies to test your decontamination procedure, but it's nrmally not a sterile environment.

Oh! I DO agree on that. As far as I go with BSC I know you can use Biological Indicators (BI) for BSC. Usually the vial equivalent is used when you decontaminate your BSC and thereafter you do your Surface, Vaiable and Non-Viable air samples on a monthly basis. (Be aware I worked for 4 years in Clinical Micro and 2 years in Environmental Microbiology, doing QA for clean rooms, BSC and what not). I am just trying to make sure there is no other way that may escape to me that we may be able to do a BI as my boss is requesting. Then again - it is my boss requesting it so I need to accumulate ALL the info that proves it is NOT doable in a safety manner. What I also proposed (as this is based on some positive pre and post testing from the past that I am 100% sure it was because the patient him/herself was infected) is to include the use of sleeves over the lab coats and in any case settle plates during processing. Maybe 2 people per hood as a stress test.