ISBT product code for Neonatal Syringe Aliquots

I am the blood bank supervisor of a 150 bed hospital with no current BB computer system. We are in the very early stages of implementing a hospital wide system that will include BB. We are opening a NICU. We have everything set-up except for the labeling of the aliquot. We receive all of our blood products from a local supplier and haven't modified any components prior to this. We receive product code E0311V00 (AS-1 added, leukocytes reduced, from 450 mL CPD Whole Blood) the biggest part of the time. Occasionally we received pheresed E4532V00 (1st) or E4533V00 (2nd). My question is....when product code E0311V00 is split into neonatal aliquots does the product code simply change to E0311VA0, E0311VB0, etc.? Or is it more complicated than that? Would it become E0291VA0 which is AS-1 added, Divided, from 450mL CPD Whole Blood? I have been looking at the pre-printed Shamrock Labels which is just too confusing. When the ISBT 128 labeling started last May all we had to do to get ready was to make sure all of our forms would accomodate the longer unit #. So this is all new to me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

We currently do not have any computer system. It will be at least 18 months until ours is implemented. We are using a 3 syringe set to sterile dock to the unit, but will only be taking off the amount needed and leaving the other syringes attached until we have another order for blood. So each aliquot will be in a syringe, just not all made at one time. We will not be splitting a syringe any further.

You might want to learn how the new computer system will deal with aliquots so that you choose a solution now that will work for downtime then. You might see if you are buying printers and software to use with the system and could simply add the software that lets you print standalone labels. Then you could implement that now.

So, you will split the primary unit into A0 and B0 and hand out the syringe that is B0. Then you will split A0 into the next aliquot which will be Aa. The volume of the primary bag will change again, but it is already a split product from last time so need not get another product code. Your 3rd syringe will be aliquot Ab. There are other ways to do this (see Polls thread posted 6/16/08).

There are some ways to get labels in smaller quantities than buying many rolls of pre-printed labels or having a standalone printer--especially if you won't use too many. If you search this site for "ISBT labels" you might find some of the solutions. Be sure to check this out, although I don't know if it has or will have aliquot labels: http://freeisbt.googlepages.com/

I came from a hospital about your size and it is hard to get labels in the right quantities without paying a fortune. It might be easier now that more places are live with ISBT.

I am the blood bank supervisor of a 150 bed hospital with no current BB computer system. We are in the very early stages of implementing a hospital wide system that will include BB. We are opening a NICU. We have everything set-up except for the labeling of the aliquot. We receive all of our blood products from a local supplier and haven't modified any components prior to this. We receive product code E0311V00 (AS-1 added, leukocytes reduced, from 450 mL CPD Whole Blood) the biggest part of the time. Occasionally we received pheresed E4532V00 (1st) or E4533V00 (2nd). My question is....when product code E0311V00 is split into neonatal aliquots does the product code simply change to E0311VA0, E0311VB0, etc.? Or is it more complicated than that? Would it become E0291VA0 which is AS-1 added, Divided, from 450mL CPD Whole Blood? I have been looking at the pre-printed Shamrock Labels which is just too confusing. When the ISBT 128 labeling started last May all we had to do to get ready was to make sure all of our forms would accomodate the longer unit #. So this is all new to me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

<removed by admin>

Please don't advertise in the forum. You may place your products in the Classified ads or Product Review sections for free.

Edited by Cliff
Please don't advertise in forum

Using pre-printed labels can indeed be complicated and there are many considerations. First you need to consider if the size of your syringes can accommodate a full face label. If so, you will need to order base labels with your supplier name, address, and FDA reg. number. You will also need three identical copies of the DIN barcode. Check to be sure your supplier will be attaching these to the parent units in the quantity you need. If you can limit the number of different product codes that you will be using for neonates, I would focus on ordering only those product codes that you know you always have in inventory. It sounds as if you always have E0311 available. You did not mention if you used an irradiated product for neonates and whether or not you irradiated on site. This will determine the correct product code. E0311 is not an irradiated product, so be sure you have the correct code of the parent unit. Once that is determined you can order product code labels as Mabel described above, A0, B0, Aa, and Ab. If you only use O Negative, then you only need to order one ABO/Rh type label. If not, you will need to order all ABO/Rh types you will be using. You are not required to have a barcoded Expiration Date/Time label so that can be hand written. CMV negative labels are also available. Incidently E0291, mentioned in your post is not an leuko reduced product.

Hope this helps.

Dawn

If you have HemaTrax on-demand printing you may wish to reference www.digi-trax .co and click media then click Full 4 X4 or 4 X2 and see "Syringe Label" to see special labels desingned with 1/2" peel off for syringe labeling.