patient allergies

jdjustus

I came upon something in ER last night that I haven't experienced yet. Thank goodness the patient did not need any transfusion services.

The patient was allergic to the plastic used in the identification bands. Therefore, the nurses were unable to attach the identification band to her wrist as normal. I assume she would be allergic to the plastic in the blood bank id band also.

In regards to patient identification for blood bank purposes, how would all of you experienced blood bankers handle a situation like this?

I can't say that I've heard of that particular situation, either. I think, though, I'd have to insist on some sort of armband with the required patient ID information. Perhaps a band of paper would be acceptable. In or facility we have 'EasyID' labels that are used for practically everything, so one of these attached to a makeshift paper bracelet on the patient's arm would probably do the trick. (We don't use a separate blood bank band)

What we have done at our facility for patients that have an allergy to plastic ID bands, is to apply a strip of non-allergic tape to the underside of the plastic band. This prevents the plastic from contacting the patient's skin, and has worked very well for us. We do the same thing if the patient has an allergy to the metal clasp.