Topics for Education

KellyK

Hello to all...

I am currently looking for good topics to write about for education materials for blood bankers. I work from home for the American Red Cross and we are developing some teleconferences/satellite conferences for the hospitals around Nebraska.

I have presented a very basic ABO presentation and will be presenting a Gel power-point on Monday (basic intro to gel technology). I am looking for topics that a hospital would be interested in.

Unfortunately my presentations do not give continuing ed. hours (yet). If this project is successful enough, it may go bigger than just Nebraska!

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

What level audience are you looking for? I think godd topics are either those that are common problems or stuff that you would rarely encounter, but could need to know something about . . . I make my students talk on Polyagglutination, ABO subgroups/Bombay, the Lewis system, the Duffy system, autoimmunity in the Blood Bank. Some is pertinent and some is just interesting.

Edited by David Saikin
poor grammar

• 2 months later...

I am doing education for all levels of blood bank. It can vary from very difficult to very easy. I have done 3 already...Basic Gel testing, ABO conversion (not changing the ABO, but changing from A Positive to O Positive), and basic antibody identification. I think I have the schedule made for the rest of the year, but would still really appreciate any other input!

I like to make sure everyone knows about anti-G and when you can ignore it and when you should remember it exists. I have never seen a Bombay but I think it would be good to present it how it would look to the average tech--like a reallly strong cold agglutinin.

I also drum on the inheritance of the Rh antigens so we understand that a hemorrhaging patient with a known anti-E can pretty safely be given Rh neg blood--plus understanding the risks of making anti-c and why you don't screen the O negs for c when you have gone through all the O pos units.

It is also good to understand that even incompatible blood carries oxygen and you shouldn't let a patient bleed to death just because they have antibodies. Techs sometimes get asked by docs and have to give a split second answer and that drives how the patient gets treated.

Then there is interesting stuff like hemizygous Duffys.

• 2 months later...

Kelly K, if you are prepared to give me an address (for your own protection, I would propose your place of work, rather than your private address) I am happy to send you a CD-ROM we have put together for education in the South-east of England.

I'm not saying that the lectures are "the be all and end all", but they could provide some ideas and you are quite free to use them in their entirety or cut and paste as you want.

• 1 month later...

Malcom--thank you so much for the offer. Could you please send that CD rom to:

High Plains Medical Clinic

1315 Tibbals

Holdrege, NE 68949

Attn: Kelly Kezeor

Thanks so much...I will be interested to see what you have!!

Malcolm, you're really brilliant at sharing your education material. The TAG are now working on standardising competency and training workbooks for all staff grades. Hopefully these will be completed in next few months and we can post these on BBT forum.

No problem KellyK.

Unfortunately, my son is right slap bang in the middle of his year 5 examinations at the moment, and so I am having to do revision every night (!!!!!), but I should be able to get it to you early next week at the latest.

KellyK,

I found a window of opportunity last night, so the CD-ROM is in the post.

Hi Malcolm,

Sorry to be cheeky, but I am a fairly new TP in Cornwall and am looking for all the help I can get for training. Is there any chance I could have a copy of those talks too? Could you email them? Every oportunity to gain knowledge from other people is not to be wasted I feel!!

Thanks,

Nicki

Hi there Nicki,

I would be only too glad to send them to you, but there is absolutely no way that I can email them to you. There are something like 56 PowerPoint lectures and several Word documents that go with them. I would have to send them to you on a CD-ROM. If you email your professional (NOT your personal address) to me, I would be glad to burn you off a copy and put it in the post.

My own work email address is malcolm.needs@nbs.nhs.uk.

I received your educational CD-Rom in the mail yesterday. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I really haven't had time to dive into the details of the material, but it is GREAT! This is exactly what I was looking for. I wish there was a way to re-pay you! I will keep you posted as the programs develop!

Thanks again...so very much!

Kelly

• 4 months later...

CAN ANY ONE PUT LIGHT ON Rh PHENOTYPING ESPECIALY EXISTANCE OF d, HOW FAR ITS OK TO WRITE CDE/cde OR cde?cde WHEN d IS NOT PROVED TO BE EXISTING... AND FOR SURE THERE IS NO ANTI-d EXISTING.KINDLY EXPLAIN ALL THE POSSIBILITIES IN THIS REGARD

Edited by irshadaad

CAN ANY ONE PUT LIGHT ON Rh PHENOTYPING ESPECIALY EXISTANCE OF d, HOW FAR ITS OK TO WRITE CDE/cde OR cde?cde WHEN d IS NOT PROVED TO BE EXISTING... AND FOR SURE THERE IS NO ANTI-d EXISTING.KINDLY EXPLAIN ALL THE POSSIBILITIES IN THIS REGARD

Yes I can, but it may be a rather long explanation for a post, so I will write a word document today (or, at least, I will if I get time, otherwise it may have to be Friday) and post it as an attachment.

I hope this is okay.

• 2 years later...
Hi there Nicki,

I would be only too glad to send them to you, but there is absolutely no way that I can email them to you. There are something like 56 PowerPoint lectures and several Word documents that go with them. I would have to send them to you on a CD-ROM. If you email your professional (NOT your personal address) to me, I would be glad to burn you off a copy and put it in the post.

My own work email address is malcolm.needs@nbs.nhs.uk.

is it possible for me to ask for the same thing?

nova

• 1 month later...