Great Resource for Blood Banks

a44744

I just came across a fantastic book that should be in every transfusion service, reference lab, and given to physicians and students. It is called Essentials of Transfusion Medicine by Dr. Fred V. Plapp. He also has a website at www.clinlabnavigator.com which covers all laboratory tests including tests performed in a blood bank. I believe this book is thorough, easy to understand, and serves as a great reference for this ever- changing profession.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two other good sites, if you have not already been on them are: www.indianinitative.org which has some great lectures and case studies, and www.sbbpocketbook.com which has information on a great book for Blood Group Antigens and Antibodies book that is very inexpensive ($25) and also on a super Education Fund for students.

Also, might I recommend the ARC journal Immunohematology that comes out 4 times a year and is free to SBB students and is very low cost also for a year's subscription, web site www.redcross.org/pubs/immuno.

Marilyn M

PS Ignore this e-mail if you are one of the lucky ones to have been on these web sites.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree wholeheartedly about the usefulness of the FactsBook.

I am the Reference Service Manager of Red Cell Immunohaematology at the NHSBT-Tooting Centre in London, and we use this book almost daily (in fact, it is beginning to fall apart we use it so much).

It is quite brilliant.

For those who would require a more basic book, I would thoroughly recommend Essential Guide to Blood Groups, by Geoff Daniels and Imelda Bromilow, Blackwell Publishing 2007 (ISBN-13: 978-1-4051-5349-2 and ISBN-10: 1-4051-5349-0). I believe it is published by Blackwell Publishing inc, Massachusetts in the USA. I'm not sure of the cost (particularly in dollars) but it is not expensive.

Edited by Malcolm Needs
Forgot something!

• 1 month later...

A few more books that I would highly recommend are as follows:

Practical Transfusion Medicine. Mike Murphy and Derwood Pamphilon (Eds) 3rd Edition. ISBN 9781405181969 published 27.04.09. I haven't had a chance to see this one myself yet, but if it is anything like as good as the first two editions, it is really useful and very good for those who have a little knowledge, but need to sharpen their knowledge up a bit (not good grammar, I know!).

A Manual for Blood Conservation. (not, as I wrote when I reviewed the book, A Manual for Blood Conversation). Dafydd Thomas, John Thompson and Biddy Ridler (Eds) 1st Edition. ISBN 1903378249, published in 2005. Gives a good all round review of how to reduce the use of blood.

Alloimmune disorders of pregnancy. Andrew Hadley and Peter Soothill (Eds) 1st Edition. ISBN 0521781205, published 2002. Possibly getting a bit long in the tooth for the very latest, but a brilliant book nevertheless, and talks about some of the more unusual cases, such as alloimmune neutropenia in the fetus and newborn.

I'm not sure, but I don't think anyone has mentioned the be all and end all of AIHA.

Immune Hemolytic Anemias. Lawrie Petz and George Garratty, 2nd Edition. ISBN 0443085595, published 2004. This book had me drooling, but I would not recommend that you read it from cover to cover (unless you are a geek like me). Most of it is increadibly easy to read, but parts of it are definitely hard going. I had particular trouble reading the drug-induced immue hemolytic anemia chapter (chapter 8), not least because I found myself bleeping over the names of the drugs in my head, in the same way that people tend to bleep over the Russian names in War and Peace.

I hope these ramblings are of some use.

:D

Practical Transfusion Medicine, 3rd edition

By Michael F. Murphy, Derwood H. Pamphilon

Publisher: Wiley-Blackwell

Number Of Pages: 576

Publication Date: 2009-05-04

ISBN-10 / ASIN: 1405181966

ISBN-13 / EAN: 9781405181969

Product Description:

This new edition of the comprehensive guide to transfusion medicine is now fully revised and updated. The Third Edition includes two new sections, one on alternatives to blood transfusion, and one on cellular and tissues therapy and organ transplantation. It focuses on clinical aspects but also covers background science and organizational issues. This timely volume highlights controversial issues and provides advice for everyday clinical questions in transfusion medicine. Practical Transfusion Medicine, Third Edition, is an essential manual for all those working in modern transfusion medicine.