Platelet products out of blood bank

sebrof

I would like feedback from others on the length of time a platelet product can be out of the blood bank and still be returned to inventory.

Our 30 min maximum time out of the blood bank is very difficult when dealing with OR orders.

Thanks

My concern is focused on temperature rather than time. 23rd edition to Standards say the maximum time without agitation for platelets is 24 hours. During transportation they must remain as close as possible to 20-24C.

Your Medical Director could make a decision if they are returned beyond the time limit. Making sure they were kept at required temperature range is just as important. (Not accidently placed in the RBC cooler).

I have seen a one hour time limit used in many hospitals.

We have also assigned a 4 hour rule for platelets and when issuing them to a surgery patient that also has RBCs issued in a cold igloo, we place them in their own room temp platelet igloo (i.e. an igloo with room temp gel packs with the word "Platelets" on the outside) and we also attach a bright blue sticker on the bag that says "STORE AT ROOM TEMP". We haven't had any problems with platelets getting dumped into the cold igloo along with the plasma and RBCs since we've starting using the stickers.