2+ anti-D reactions in gel

johna

Invariably we are finding that reactions with anti-D in gel as high as 2+ turn out to be <1+ in the first tube when a saline tube titer is performed. Is anyone else experiencing this? If so, would you consider it a waste of time to titer 2+ anti-D gel reactions?

• 2 weeks later...

We would titer the antibody using gel anti-IgG cards. As stated in another reply, the key is consistency and reproducibility. If it reacts in gel then it should be titered with gel techniques. At least that's how we look at it.

• 2 months later...

I also think that if you are going to perform Gel titers you need to make sure you make ALL the OBs aware, you are going to get MUCH higher titers with gel than with tube... that said, I put a policy in place recently dealing with this. We identify antibodies in Solid Phase. Any AB's that may need to be titered must first be tested NEAT in the tube as you would your titer. So, our titer SOP states we use 3 drops plasma to 1 drop RC, incubate for 1 hours at 37C, wash and add Anti-IgG. If it reacts in this test 1+ or greater, the tech must titer. If weaker, then I report the titer result as Less than 1.