Recruiting Platelet Donors

We had what was called four seasons. As long as the donor came in during each season ( every three months), they would receive a nice wind breaker. Also, give them encouraging information that each donation could help 1-3 patients depending if it is a single, double or triple donation and that it is better for a patient to receive one apheresis platelet than multiple randoms. If you have an HLA program let them know that they may be called in to donate matched platelets etc. Good luck.

Tom

One of the methods we use to get new plt donors in the door is to collect one 4 mL purple top tube from qualified whole blood donors (males with at least one good vein and not on anti-platelet medications, etc.). We will do this on mobiles that are within 1 hour drive time of our plt collection sites. Once the precount is done and it is detemined that the donor is a suitable canadate for plt apheresis then a recruiter will call to educate and recruit the donor for plts.

We have used this approach in the past with good success. Several other blood centers that done similar programs.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for all the ideas of getting new donors. Now I need your help in telling me the promos you had. Right now we have free gas for a year. Its a $3600 gas card. It doesnt seems to get new people so please let me know what you are doing. Also, are you getting out into the public to educate? If so, how?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
Thank you for all the ideas of getting new donors. Now I need your help in telling me the promos you had. Right now we have free gas for a year. Its a $3600 gas card. It doesnt seems to get new people so please let me know what you are doing. Also, are you getting out into the public to educate? If so, how?

how many donations to get the gas card?