Calling any SBB's

LaraT23

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Terri, did you go to the AABB Meeting? Did you attend the lecture BB/SBB Examination Review: Where Do I Begin? A nice presentation to guide you how to prepare the SBB exam. Rememeber, in addition to blood banking stuff, you also need to know math, management, hematology, coagulation, etc. Also, if time and bugget allow, go to the Last Chance Review which is organized by the Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center before you take the exam. They also sell notes after the Review every year if you are unable to attend it.

Good luck and plan well before you start.

CK Cheng, MSc, SBB(ASCP), CQA(ASQ)

Hong Kong

Oct 31, 2009

Hi Liliana, have you any friends or co-workers came back from the Meeting in New Orleans, or Canada last years? The one I think useful has about hundred pages. Alternatively, attend the 2-day Last Chance Review in Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center, or if it does not allow you to fly to Houston, you may buy notes from Clare.

Hope that helps.

Hong Kong

Nov 3, 2009

MLLSpar,

I could fax those notes, but it is a giant notebook. It would be a ton of paper. I do have it if you still want it.

That class is Sat and Sunday and is 10 hours each day. Very intensive but really really good. I have contact information for all of the instructors and as mentioned before Clare Wong who coordinates the program.

SBB Last Chance Review offered at Gulf Coast is AWESOME! And there was a SBB review text that was a collection of questions. Add to that ISSIT, AABB & FDA stds, and geat a great study buddy! I had a standing study date with a friend with a history of HLA lab experience. I tutored him on stds and regs and he taught me about HLA! Good luck!

I agree with Cliff - the standards are a billiant place to start as they are the basis of the exams. I made some "How well do you know your standards" quizzes for our BCSH standards. They definitely sorted out the wheat from the chaff and are really easy to make.

1. Get a standard

2. Start reading and write down questions as you go

3. Avoid "yes or no" answers in favour of "why does" questions

4. Stick them all on one sheet

5. Give the sheet to the trainee and give them a set time to do it (no reference material)

It really shows the areas where the groups have trouble

Andy

• 1 month later...

Just so that everyone knows, the last chance review ( at least the one I went to) was an entire weekend. The "copy of the review" would be an entire 3 ring binder, as that is what we were given. It is two days worth of power points and notes. Not very copy friendly.

I highly recommend the Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center's SBB Last Chance Review in Houston. I went to in in Feb 2009 and was enlightened to an entirely different load of material.........material that I was NOT studying! After attending there, I disected that information using any and every text book I could find. It was a HUGE help!

I've been blood banking for 20 years and recently took the position of BB instructor in out MT program. I was able to sit for the test in May 2009 and passed the 1st time! It was very exciting.........would have NEVER succeeded w/out the help of that program in Houston!

Hi CrystalM, the third edition of Passing the First Time: Blood Bank Exam Review Guide was published in 2007. Sounds the fourth edition is coming later this year. You can order the book directly from Volaris Systems & Consulting Inc. Here is the path: http://www.volarisconsulting.com/guide.html

I totally agree with TeachBB's comments on the Last Chance Review by Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center. It is a two-day workshop. Organized once a year. The coming one is on Feb 20-21, 2010. Please click this path for further information: http://www.giveblood.org/uploads/pdf/education/2010Brochure.pdf

Hope that helps.

Jan 6, 2010

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I decided a few years ago to get my SBB (Back when there was no expiration date). I bought the Blood Groups Antigen Facts Book and studies it in addition to Tech manual and Standards.

Immunohematology has lots of "Reviews of ..." articles that I thought were great! Biggest advise is read, read, read.

I passed the first time without going to SBB school so I guess it worked for me.