Use of pneumatic tube for deilvery of rhogam

rsammis2

We had a nurse ask if rhogam could be delivered to the floor or ER through our pneumatic tube system. Are there any regulations out there prohibiting this? Is this standard practice at some hospitals? Any info on this subject would be appreciated. Thanks

I'm assuming that by validated tube system you mean that we have proven that nothing happens to the contents of the carriers when sent. Pharmacy sends meds through the tubes but since I've only been at this lab for 9 months, I'm not sure if validation has ever occurred.

We use pneumatic tube system to send STAT red cells & plts across the street to the hospital blood bank. We are the main crossmatch laboratory in the city & region. So, We get STAT samples for crossmatch from hospital blood bank & after crossmatch we send red cells to them by TUBE system. So, I don't think there should be any problem using tube system until & unless it is continuously monitored & maintained.

Our pneumatic tube system cannot be used to send 'high-protein' medications per the manufacturer and our pharmacy dept. (Apparently the high air-pressure slamming can denature the protein.)

You may want to verify this with mfg of tube system for what you have.

Our pneumatic tube system cannot be used to send 'high-protein' medications per the manufacturer and our pharmacy dept. (Apparently the high air-pressure slamming can denature the protein.)

Our practice is the same, the system is validated and we will tube anything anywhere on campus BUT RhIg. The product doesn't tolerate the ride very well.

We send Rhogam through our tube system, and "assumed" (I know, I know) that is was OK since Pharmacy had already been sending meds through it. We haven't personally validated it, and didn't know about the "high protein" caveat. Oops.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It is not advised as pressure and centrifugation during transport can lyse cells.

We issued blood products, all blood products via pneumatic tube for years with no problems. Validated the tube system to assure no damage would occur prior to implementation. Can not imagine every going back to the old, hand the blood to somebody, system.

My Pharmacy also directed me not to send any immunoglobulin in the pneumatic tube system because it is listed on their nationally published list of unacceptable products to be sent in pneumatic tube systems. I would check on this very carefully if you do.