Hematype

Mary**

• 1 year later...

We used the Hematype devices by Fenwal for many years, but recently switched to a similar device called "TypeSafe" by Typenex. Their website is www.typenex.com , phone # is 866-897-3639 , and you can email your order to orders@typenex.com . Address is 303 E. Wacker Dirve, Suite 311, Chicago, IL, 60601.

We have been pleased with both brands, but 90% of our staff like the TypeSafe better.

Mary** -- You probably need to contact the companies you are interested and ask for quotes. (There are so many different purchasing groups and "contract prices" that your price quote is likely to be different from most other hospitals. (I don't think we saw much of a price different between Hematype and SafeType.)

We switched to the Typenex brand because it was less expensive. Of course we must go through a purchasing group and the Typenex brand was cheaper than the Hematype for our group. Most of our techs like them as well or better, and the others don't care which ones they use as long as they have them. Switching over was a non-issue here oddly enough - you know we laboratorians, any kind of change is a big problem for us :)

In my student lab, I used the others previously mentioned and also the Sartstedt Tube Segment Opener. It is white,and uses a needle in the middle. I think it was at least 1/5 the price of the Hematype. Students liked it just fine, occasionally they would miss the little needle and have to try a second attempt at piercing the segment. Not a big deal.

Sarstedt Order no. 92.1000

Sarstedt, Inc

PO Box 468

Newton, NC 28658-0468

tel 800-257-5101

Does anyone have the number and address for Chek Lab? They make Igloo Coolers and ice blocks. Thanks for the flood plain!

Mary

We've used Chek Lab for labels in the past..... phone is (630) 896-0574, fax (630) 896-0665, for orders call (888) 870-7979. cheklab@xnet.com - 208 East Benton ST, PO Box 4455, Aurora, IL 60507

We also recently switched to the Typesafe seg device from Typenex. It was cheaper than the hematype and the techs seem to like the product better.

Stephanie Townsend, MT (ASCP)SBB

Having used both Hematype and TypeSafe, my personal opinion is that the risk of a broken tube and exposure is the same among both brands. (It would be good to hear what other BloodBankTalk posters' experiences are regarding broken tubes/exposure accidents.)