RhIg Calculator

Mary

I found an article in CAP Today about the problems with Kleihaur Betke stain dose calculations. It had a reference for an electronic calculator for calculating the dose. You enter the patient's weight and height and the percent fetal cells and it calculates the number of vials of Rhogam. It is neat. I made it part of our procedure.

You can get it at: www.cap.org, under Committees and Leadership, Transfusion Medicine Resource Committee, Transfusion Medicine Topic Center.

I tried the calculator against my manual calculation and they agreed. The CAP Today article that announced the calculator was pretty scary. Lots of miscalculations were reported.

This brings up a question: I have discovered that not all of our clinical affiliates calculate the % fetal cells the same way. Here's how our method works here with an example:

fetal cells 200

adult cells 2200

TOTAL cells 2400

% fetal cells = 200 fetal cells/ 2400 TOTAL cells x 100 = 8.3%

I think some of our affiliates use the number of ADULT cells, not the TOTAL number of cells as the denominator. I'm wondering how other facilities do this calculation?

• 2 weeks later...

We also use total cells as the denominator.

Does this spreadsheet need validating, since we're using it for medical decision-making?

As with all things blood bank related, I'd presume, that yes you'd want to validate it.

As an FYI, I'll have the online tool for BBT completed tomorrow.

Would anyone care to test it for me? In particular, I'd like a Mac user to test it. I refuse to install Safari (die hard Windows fan here), and all I have are Windows PC's.

This will be the beginning of many online tools to come.

The RhIg calculator has been added to the site. It's in the References Menu under Tools / Data Calculators.

Please take a look as see what you think.

If this works well, we will add many more tools like this. They're fun to build and easy to use. Personally I like this version a little better than the one CAP provides. It handles the data the same, but unlike a spreadsheet that you download, the end user does not have the ability to corrupt the data / calculations.

Cliff it doesn't accept any decimal under % fetal cells?

I tried 0.4 and it calculated dose for 4%.

I couldn't enter 1.4 .....when I tried to type 1.4...after I typed decimal(.) it disappeared an took as 14...and calculated vials for 14% fetal cells.

Cliff it doesn't accept any decimal under % fetal cells?

I tried 0.4 and it calculated dose for 4%.

I couldn't enter 1.4 .....when I tried to type 1.4...after I typed decimal(.) it disappeared an took as 14...and calculated vials for 14% fetal cells.

You are correct, thanks for pointing that out.

The field has been edited to allow decimals.

I tried the calculator against my manual calculation and they agreed. The CAP Today article that announced the calculator was pretty scary. Lots of miscalculations were reported.

This brings up a question: I have discovered that not all of our clinical affiliates calculate the % fetal cells the same way. Here's how our method works here with an example:

fetal cells 200

adult cells 2200

TOTAL cells 2400

% fetal cells = 200 fetal cells/ 2400 TOTAL cells x 100 = 8.3%

I think some of our affiliates use the number of ADULT cells, not the TOTAL number of cells as the denominator. I'm wondering how other facilities do this calculation?

We use the Sure-Tech method. Our latest CAP survey I noticed a discrepancy between the dosage chart by ration versus the calculation formula in their product insert. We called the company and they said that yes there is a difference and the chart was obtained over 20 years ago from AABB but they can't give them a reference where it came from. My question is why have something in a procedure that you can't document.

Mary Carton, Blood Bank and Micro Supervisor

Eliza Coffee Memorial Hospital, Florence, Al.

• 12 years later...
On 6/8/2008 at 10:03 PM, Cliff said:

The RhIg calculator has been added to the site. It's in the References Menu under Tools / Data Calculators.

Please take a look as see what you think.

If this works well, we will add many more tools like this. They're fun to build and easy to use. Personally I like this version a little better than the one CAP provides. It handles the data the same, but unlike a spreadsheet that you download, the end user does not have the ability to corrupt the data / calculations.

Where is it? I can't find it