Cord Blood Retention

JMunden

Currently our facility retains cord blood samples for 2 weeks. This was initiated, originally because the childrens hospital requested we collect specimens in EDTA and Clot tubes for their genetic studies when performed. We rarely send specimencs out anymore and there have been essentially no requests for special testing. Our L&D department would like to switch back to the old wide tube specimen containers previously used. I have no problem with that, however, I do not have room to store the samples as they are to be collected. What length of time does your facility keep Cord Bloods?

Thanks...:D

I have just asked that the peds committee review our policy for keeping cords. We hold them a week, but no one ever seems to request that we do any testing on them so it seems like a waste of energy. Of course we keep those we tested for RhIG determination in with our other samples for at least a week.

We keep cord blood specimens for 14 days. They are collected into K2 EDTA Blood Bank tubes and archived with the other Blood Bank specimens. Those not tested for RhIgG are maintained for evaluation testing when requested.

• 10 months later...
We keep cord blood specimens for 14 days. They are collected into K2 EDTA Blood Bank tubes and archived with the other Blood Bank specimens. Those not tested for RhIgG are maintained for evaluation testing when requested.

We keep the samples for 10 days for the same reason. Do you test the cord bloods when requested after the baby has been discharged? Have you had any identification problems. We currently have the same policy and on the few occassions that the doctor orders testing after discharge the baby's last name has changed since they were born so our specimen no longer matches the order. I would like to change our policy and only test the cord blood prior to discharge.

• 12 years later...

Reviving this very old thread :(

I was trying to find an answer to this question too: How long should blood bank retain/save cord blood samples. 

Is there any documented CAP/AABB/TJC or other organization guidelines regarding duration of storage. How long after discharge do you discard these samples. or is there a fixed timeline?

Any opinions?

Thanks a bunch.

If you use the specimen for testing, retain it for the same time period as other tested specimens. I am not aware of any requirements for specimens collected 'in case we might need them or get orders later'. However, the antisera reagent inserts specify how long a specimen is OK for testing, dependent upon the tube/anticoagulant used for specimen collection. That should be addressed in setting your policy.