Titers Performed on Platelet Pheresis Prior to Issue

JLF

I am looking for information on performing titers on platelet pheresis products upon recreipt or prior to issue. If you are performing such a process, would you share that process/procedure, and specifically:

1) What method are you using?

2) What is your threshold or significant titer?

3) Did you validate that threshold for the method you are using?

4) What was your sampling size for that validation?

5) Are you only performing this process on Group O products?

• 2 months later...

Yes, we perform platelet titer if we need to.

1. We use tube method.

2. We titer to 1:64 if negative, then it is acceptable.

3. Yes we validate the test.

4. We did validate 30 samples (10 O's, 10 A's and 10 B's) of different blood types.

5. We perform titer on all ABO group except AB's. (example: we can give Group A platelets to B group patient).

• 1 year later...

We titer 1:64 Immediate Spin if giving ABO incompatible. If reaction with this titer we try another units or warn physician this is all we have and possibilty of hemolytic reaction (we acutally had a reaction before implementing the titre policy).

Those from the United Kingdom - is it true the National Blood Services dilute all donors on an Olympus analyzer 1/100 against A and B cells and if there is a reaction they mark units has high titer?? I found a document on the Internet when looking for methods before deciding to proceed with our method. I would like this verified!?!? THANKS!

Those from the United Kingdom - is it true the National Blood Services dilute all donors on an Olympus analyzer 1/100 against A and B cells and if there is a reaction they mark units has high titer?? I found a document on the Internet when looking for methods before deciding to proceed with our method. I would like this verified!?!? THANKS!

Well, the answer is yes and no!

Yes, we do the former (test at a dilution of 1/100 against both A and B red cells on an Olympus), but if there is a reaction we do not mark the units as high titre positive! Rather, we marked those that do NOT react as high titre negative (HT-).

For a reason unbeknown to me (I think it has something to do with EU Regulations, but I'm not sure), and apart from ABO and the D, C, c, E and e antigens of the Rh Blood Group System, anything else for which we test is only printed onto the unit label if the test is negative.

For example, if we test for HbS, and we find the donor to be HbS-, then HbS- is printed on the unit label, but if we find the donor to be HbS+, we do not print HbS+ on the label - the HbS status is just not shown. The same applies for blood groups. If we test with anti-K, and we find the donor to be K-, then K- is printed on the unit label, but if we find the donor to be K+, we do not print K+ on the label - the K status is just not shown.

As I say, why I just do not know.

:(:(:(