Price Increases

Mary

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

To Mary,

If you think Immucor went up, Ortho doubled their prices for traditional blood bank reagents in an apparent attempt to get everyone onthe Gel system. I use gel for Antibody detection and identification only, not for abo typings. THe Immucor base pricing takes me back to Orho's 2007 prices, so I will most likely go with this. Ortho is gouging!!!!! and I have been an Ortho customer for 30 years.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

would it be possible from anyone to see any price sheets or excel sheets that reflect percent increase, etc., I have been trying to find the immucor and ortho increases and do not have those files now and it is hard to find the older ones. Thanks.

Edited by smn

Hello Everyone,

Thankfully you now have more options in blood bank reagents. Look to a company that has a history in manufacturing blood bank reagents since 1946 and understands the importance of the customer!

Now it is time to think about cost savings in blood bank reagents rather than price increases.

I too was upset over the price increase for Immucor. I use Ortho gel for antibody screening and antibody identification and Ortho traditional reagents for ABO and Rh. Therefore, I felt that I could set up a minimum with Immucor for the traditional reagents for ABO and Rh and at least one set of screening cells per month and not have to pay list price. I was told by my Immucor rep that she has been told by her superiors that the only way I could get anything other than list was to change from gel technology. I am not willing to do this unless I am able to later automate (it has been denied for the past 5 years) and would consider either Ortho or Immucor at that time.

Check your package insert to see if the manufacturer states that you have to use a specific product. Generally you are looking to test with the same protein concentration that the antisera is in. Generally monoclonal reagents are around 3-5 % protein concentration. If the package insert does not say, call the manufacturer.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have copies of Ortho pricing sheets that they would be willing to share? I have copies of Immucor pricing sheets for the past several years, and wanted to see how the Ortho price increases compare.

Thanks!

I've done business with both companies for the last 7-8 years on the same pricing tier. They both have jacked up their prices about the same amount - as much as they thought they could get. First one goes up, then the other 6 months or so later. The increases are not initiated by the same company, either. Sometimes it starts with Ortho. Sometimes it starts with Immucor.

I haven't seen Ortho's list, but there's no way I'll spend $1000 for one 5ml vial of Anti-S. That's ridiculous.

Hello, reference lab......:cool:

Well, the Anti-S became so expensive more recently, after that period of time when it was not available. Also, is it Monoclonal Anti-S (I can't recall who sells that; I haven't wanted to pay for it yet).

Brenda Hutson, CLS(ASCP)SBB

We keep a supply of Anti-C, E, c, e, K, Fya, and Jka. I recently discontinued Anti-M and Anti-S since they cost the most and got used the least. These cover the majority of our transfusion problems. Our reference lab is able to provide us with S-negative units if needed, so I ditched the Anti-S. Anti-M is usually only significant if it reacts at 37C, so crossmatch-compatible units are usually OK for patients with documented Anti-M, and I can get M-neg units from the reference lab as well, so I said bye-bye to the Anti-M.

Jka is next on my list. I hate to spend that much for something I'll mostly use only on surveys, but I'll probably keep it around just in case.

You see Anti-Jka that infrequently? Do you use GEL? If Yes, might want to look at my posting from 07/24 regarding GEL and Anti-Jka...

Brenda Hutson, CLS(ASCP)SBB