Bones & tissues in the blood bank...

Hope not, since I've been doing since we started keeping tissues. I have had assessments (AABB & JCAHO) since then with no problems. Be sure to label your shelves as tissue storage and don't put blood on the same shelves & you should be ok.

• 4 months later...

CARDINAL HEALTH has developed a tissue and implant management solution called the PYXIS TISSUE AND IMPLANT MODULE. It is even integrated to work with other Pyxis supply products. This solution allows clinicians to chart, charge and reorder automatically with the touch of a button. No other competitor in the market has all of the features and capabilities that the PYXIS TISSUE AND IMPLANT MODULE solution has. If you like, I can provide anyone with a webex demonstration; just send me an email.

I have done deep dives on all of the competing solutions, so I can even point out all of the ways in which they fall short against the PYXIS TISSUE AND IMPLANT MODULE.

Eric Geller

Product Manager - Tissue and Procedural Products

Cardinal Health, Pyxis Supply Technologies

CARDINAL HEALTH has developed a tissue and implant management solution called the PYXIS TISSUE AND IMPLANT MODULE. It is even integrated to work with other Pyxis supply products. This solution allows clinicians to chart, charge and reorder automatically with the touch of a button. No other competitor in the market has all of the features and capabilities that the PYXIS TISSUE AND IMPLANT MODULE solution has. If you like, I can provide anyone with a webex demonstration; just send me an email.

I have done deep dives on all of the competing solutions, so I can even point out all of the ways in which they fall short against the PYXIS TISSUE AND IMPLANT MODULE.

Eric Geller

Product Manager - Tissue and Procedural Products

Cardinal Health, Pyxis Supply Technologies

Eric,

The post you responded to is almost six months old.

We frown upon advertising in the forums, please be more careful in the future.

• 1 month later...

Here is just a cut and paste of a response I gave under Hot Topics, to someone who asked about "returning frozen bone to the Transfusion Service." So if it doesn't quite answer the question here exactly as it was asked, it is because I don't have time to re-type of bunch of data. :tongue:

Ah, you got stuck with the Tissue Bank in the Blood Bank....so here are 2 thoughts (for the price of one)

1. Also did that in a previous job. Frozen tissues (bone) could never be returned. Now,

that being said, though we told the Surgeons that multiple times, and put it in writing,

and reminded them again when they called and said they were coming for something,

they would still inevitably want to return it, and it would end up being a big fight (but it

was only out of the freezer for a short time....you are wasting bone...says the Surgeon). No

I remind them, you have wasted bone (and NO, we would not budge on that).

2. Multiple problems with having Tissue Bank in BB as I saw it (and I will next tell you how

we got it moved back to the OR):

a) We are not tissue bankers. They would call to see if we had a "such and such;" we

would look and say NO. They would come down and say "yes you do, it is right

here." However, it was "also" called a XYZ (like we were supposed to know that)!

B) For small RT tissues, they would come to pick up several, not being sure which size

they would need until they looked at them. So, we had to sign them all out (logged

all tissues in on Cards upon arrival, then signed out and back in on cards; this

was our Inventory process for the Tissues). So, we then knew we were also going to

have to take the time to sign all but 1 of them back in. One time, a Rep. came with

2 briefcases full of a tissue (don't recall what it was). We had to make cards for

ALL of them. Both briefcases went to OR; sign them ALL out; only 1 used; sign all

rest back in. I said we won't do that again! Aaahhh:cries:

So, how did we get the Tissue Bank moved to the OR (which in my mind, is the appropriate place for it and the only reason it ends up in the BB, is that the OR staff say they can't monitor it as well as the BB can). So, LEARN; most of the other Hospital ORs have!! I got a list from our State Dept. of Health Services, Tissue Division of ALL of the Hospitals in the state that had a Tissue License. I called every one of them (and we are a large state), asking whether the Tissue Bank resided in the BB or the OR. Sorry, I don't recall the exact statistics, but by FAR they resided in the OR. That data, plus having a Medical Director with a backbone, got the Tissue Bank moved. :D

Hope that helps,

Brenda Hutson, CLS(ASCP)SBB

• 2 years later...

Does anyone have responsibility for storing frozen autologous bone? We have autologous bone flaps taken from patient's skulls in our freezer. What expiration date do other facilities use for their autologous bone? I too agree with the previous post concerning not putting bone back in the freezer, but wonder what others think when a piece of autologous bone is the piece in question?

We have been able to utilize the Cerner Millenium blood bank system to track tissues. The ordering is done by a designated nurse in OR - we take NO responsibility for that part. We receive, store and track products. A daily list of all tissue products on hand is automatically printed in Blood Bank and OR, which includes various sizes and descriptions. When needed, OR personel pick the product off the list and send a runner with a request for that specific tissue. This has worked quite well for us :)

Just wanted to add that our one glitch is those suprise "New products" that the surgeons simply have to have the next day and never let the Blood Bank know about. Probably no good answer to that!

Edited by Byfaith
additional comment