Validation of Digitrax Zebra 4M Plus Printers

Good day,

Would anyone be willing or able to share their experiences validating the label printer equipment for ISBT labeling? We have the Digitrax Zebra 4MPlus printers which will be used for both stand alone and eventually on demand label printing.

Digitrax has provided a user guide for validation, it's quite lengthy. We're wondering if anyone has done the validation they provided (adapted to your site), or found that an abridged version worked well or if you had any general or big problems etc.... Any guidance as to how long it took or lessons learned to just validate the printers would be great! Thank you. Lorna

I don't think you need to validate the Zebra printer as it is just a piece of hardware, but the HemaTrax Labeling Software is what needs to be validated. After reviewing the validation plan provided by Digi-Trax I decided to write my own plans where I verify the full and half face label format, and then verify that the barcodes printed by the software are accurate for each quadrant.

I am also knee-deep in Digitrax validation, using thier scripts. Some of what I'm printing, we will never use. However, we do need to know what it looks like, in case someone hits the wrong button, or you receive an un-expected product.

Bottom line, you need to be able to explain what you are validating and why.

• 2 years later...

We are currenlty validating the Hematrax software using the script from them. There is some discussion as to whether we need to print every label in the script. The script includes labels for irradiating products and washing products which is something that we would never do at our site, although some of the sites might do this type of processing. To me it makes more sense to print the labels we will actually use (or possibly use) rather than printing every label in the script. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Lorna,

I did the validation script for the HemaTrax and it is lengthy but very straight forward. If you have an issue with something not perfoming as quoted in the script, call the company. I did run into a couple typos in the script. We did perform most of the script with a few items marked off as not applicable.

Jody