Poly Specific and its Use on Cord Blood

TurboTech

How many Bloodbanks use Poly Specific Coombs Reagent on Cord Bloods.

I see this as wasteful, since I do believe that Poly is more expensive then Mono IgG.

Am I missing something.

From what I have understood for years, we were only looking for IgG on Cords. Did something new arise to justify the added possible cost of using Poly on Cords?

Just Curious

I think my supplier charges the same for poly and IgG for what that is worth. We do only IgG on babies although many years ago I did find a cord sample that was positive with complement. I don't think it meant anything. We dropped poly when the companies required that we buy it in large quantities and tons of it would have expired since we used it only for adult DATs at the time. Now we do both IgG and C3bc3d on all adult DATs with their appropriate check cells.

• 2 months later...

We dropped poly when the companies required that we buy it in large quantities and tons of it would have expired since we used it only for adult DATs at the time.

What's with that? Why won't they sell us 1 bottle? They force us to buy 10, when we only need 1 bottle of Poly a year. Same thing for PEG and Albumin. We only use 1 bottle of Albumin a year to do serological centrifuge calibration (to dilute the antisera).

Gil

BTW.... to answer the original question, we only use IgG on cords.

Only IgG antibodies cross the placenta. Only certain classes of IgG can fix complement. Certain IgG classes cross the placenta better than others. I know it is in Issitt, but I don't have the book at home with me.

Then there is the fact of a baby's complement levels and if they even work like an adult's.

Even if it is theoretically possible, I think the experts agree that it isn't necessary to look for complement-only antibodies in cord blood.

• 1 year later...

I entirely agree that only anti-IgG is required for testing cord blood. That having been said, I have seen several examples of maternal Kidd antibodies causing a positive DAT with both anti-IgG and anti-C3d, albeit weakly with the anti-C3d.

I have never seen a case of clinically significant HDN/HDF caused by a Kidd antibody, although I am well aware of isolated cases being in the literature.