ISBT 128 Blues

Yes in V5.3 and V5.4 it is challenging to comply with the ISBT 128 Standards, but we are helping 2 sites right now. There are workarounds for several issues but you may consider getting a variance with the AABB for such as "/" numbers, appending component types, etc. For Divided Products we are using the unit's comment field to record the A0, B0 etc. because the system creates the "/" number and there needs to be a documented cross reference in some form and to be able to print the correct label through either Computype or Hematrax. In Version 6.4 the system is being designed to predict and assign the proper division during Component Preparation so have faith it will get better.

We have Sunquest 6.1 and the divided units and pooled units still require workarounds. Pooled unit numbers must start with P and that does not work with ISBT. Has anyone come up with a good workaround for that problem.I have considered entering the ISBT number in the unit tag comment but I really don't like having to cross reference two numbers for the purpose of tracking. It seems to me that until Sunquest allows the pooled unit number to be an ISBT number we have opened ourselves up to possiblity of more errors.

In BIQ, Sunquest displays the BMA 3 translation in the Transfusion History so it would depend on how you defined that. Hopefully your translations mean something. Also, there is a button in BIQ on the Transfusion History screen that links to the Unit History so the tech can get more information. I hope this helps.