Temperature monitoring system

cwelks

In a previous post you talked about the Rees,Isensix systems for hospital-wide web based temperature monitoring. I am looking real serious at the Temp trak by Cooper Atkins does anyone have experience with this wireless system?

We purchased the Rees Centron with wireless sensors about 8 months ago after researching several systems, including Temp Trak. We decided to go with Rees over the others for a number of reasons. First, the Rees software was, by far, the most user-friendly, fullest-featured, and easiest to use. Second, Rees has telephone notification for alarms (in addition to e-mailing, paging, and text messaging). Temp Trak didn't have telephone notification. This was important to us since the phone notification provides detailed information on the problem that's causing the alarm. Third, Temp Trak's (nor any of the other vendor's) Validation Package didn't compare to Rees'. Our QA was very impressed with how thorough the Rees validation was, both hardware and software. Since compliance was one of the main reasons for getting one of these systems, this was very important to us too. Fourth, we liked the fact that Rees had a local, direct sales rep in our area, 24/7 Technical Support, and a huge number of Field Technicians (I think they said somewhere around 60). Temp Trak didn't come close. Since we can't afford to be down for weeks in the event of a problem, this was a big factor for us. Overall, we felt like we'd have had to adapt to the Temp Trak system, but with Rees, it's adapted to our needs.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi Cwelks. If you google TempTrak, you'll see that the Univ of Michigan is using that system and it looks like they're helping Cooper-Atkins advertise it. You could get a contact from that link to discuss their experience regarding cost & performance. Before you put your money down though, take a look at Fluke's new Comark RF500 wireless system at www.comarkusa.com. If you want more details, email me at vicki.bucklin@fluke.com for a brochure.

We used the Rees System (Including Centron) for 15 years and a little over a year ago switched to CIMScan by CIMTechniques in S.C.

Both systems do, basically, the same thing but with different architecture models. We found that even though Rees Scientific was a bigger company with a larger install base, service and support were actually pretty poor. CIMTechniques is a much smaller (up and coming) company but as such they were "hungrier" and much more responsive to out needs. It is a trade off, to be sure, but thus far we are very happy with our choice. We looked at the newest Centron system, Isensix, MACK, Veriteq and CIMTechniques prior to sending out our RFPs. Oddly enough, I never looked at the Temp Trak but the system looks very similar to the others.

• 4 weeks later...

Megan, Thanks so much for sending me your article on selecting wireless systems. It offers a great guide for what to watch for, and points out the important certifications and approvals one should offer in the US. I'm sure our Comark RF500 meets all standards, as we already have at least 300 systems operating in Lab & Hospital applications in the UK. However, we're just now learning how some of the lab-specific US accreditations are achieved. I appreciate that you've taken time out of your day to share the info. - Vicki

Our hospital looked at several vendors and decided to go with a local company, WTH Healthcare Networks, Inc. It uses wireless technology and the application is web-based. It was installed in food services and pharmacy over the past month; including all the med refrigerators and patient food refrigerators on the floors and outpatient clinics. They are working on the lab and BB this week. I can say they had to make some modifications for us when it was determined their current model would not work for a faciliy our size. For example, each department was allowed three users who could respond to alerts. They have changed it so we can have unlimited users. I can not yet speak to how the system is working out. I do know there was some issue with the placement of sensors in the food service refrigerators to minimize false alarms. I insisted that the sensors for the BB fridges be in liquid so I am hoping that will serve as a buffer against false high alarms. Following my lead, pharmacy also ordered the in-fluid sensors and I have not heard that they are having a problem. Alarms can be delayed to further reduce false alarms. The default delay is 60 minutes, but I will be using 20 minutes and adjust if necessary after I get a feel for the system. Being a Blood Banker, I am not going to turn off the existing audible alarms on our units just yet. This project also includes the monitoring of incubators, blanket warmers, liquid nitrogen storage units, and humidity. Alerts are by text message to a phone or pager, e-mail, or any combination. We have asked about adding Fax as an alert method and they are looking into it. Method of alert and/or where the alert is sent can be different at different times of the day.

A future application may be to "marry" sensors to coolers used to transport specimens and blood products both within the hospital and between our offsite locations. The sensors are data loggers and will store the data internally while the coolers are out of wireless range.

I looked at the WTH system online and it looks pretty good. I'd appreciate updates as your experience continues. It appears that they have a variety of sensor options, and a distribution network that can support you locally.

Are there are ongoing monthly service charges? How will you manage annual product certifications for the temperature devices? I've seen comments that annual certification can be a complex project if units must be sent out to recertify.

We have a very simple option for certs. It's a portable UKAS (equal to NIST) Certified Fixed Precision Resistor. It's a registered device that can be installed temporarily in each receptacle to produce documentation that external temperature devices are providing accurate readings in a select temperature range.

RF500 does not limit number of users. Like you mention regarding transmitters from WTH, all RF500 transmitters are also data loggers. It's already used in the UK for tissue and blood transportation logging which downloads a complete transport record when they come within wireless range.

We operate a validated , compliant web based temp /alarm/electronic service data center. This is a service approach where you have very little to buy upfront in terms of hardware and is quite affordable. Data is hosted by us and we provide the service you need. If you are interested in this approach , let me know and we can provide you technical info etc.

thanks for your time

My name is Rik and a founder of Freshloc Technologies and thank the board for inviting me to post. I hope this introduction is not seen as an advert and will be happy to remove it immediately, if so. Our company pioneered and patented wireless sensory networks used throughout hospitals worldwide for over 15 years. Thousands of our location systems are installed worldwide and within the past few years we have installed many complete hospitals nationwide with wireless temperature monitoring networks and effortless compliance reporting solutions.

We have always focused the use of our networks in places where people are "at risk". We have found that one of the surprising keys to safety is proving it with records thaht are instantaneously available which assure you, your auditors and/or the Joint Commision of your safe practices.

I look forward to helping anyway we can.

Rik Heller rik.heller@freshloc.com :)

Edited by Camerik

• 5 weeks later...

MK,

Validating one of these systems can be a very time consuming task, plus you really need to know what you're doing. The sensors need to be calibrated with certified meters and the entire system needs to be tested to be sure it's functioning properly (such as alarms, power checks, notifications, etc.). It's something we aren't comfortable doing, so we, like most groups we know, have the company who supplied the system do this work. It also has to be done at least once a year. When we were looking to put in a system, it's actually one of the main reasons we went with Rees Scientific. Yes, we also experienced some issues with their service, but that was a number of years ago when they were struggling to keep up with how fast they were growing. But since then, no problems. Apparently, they've added a number of people to their Service Department and have some 60-70 Field Technicians now. We have them do our annual validations every year, and they've been great. Matter of fact, our 3rd shift called their Tech Support at about 2:45 AM three weeks ago (had a situation we needed to deal with ASAP) and got a LIVE human being on the phone.

Do yourself a favor....If you can, have the experts perform the validation.

CM