Transfusion Audits

jhaig

Some of us do, Mabel. I worked from 7 AM to 630 PM, met my wife for dinner, went home, walked the dog, answered my email, and I am headed back to the lab right after this to make some specimens for my students to work up when they come in. I think I am going to give them a warm auto with an underlying anti-e. That should keep 'em busy for a couple of hours.

BC

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

It has been our experience that the nurses resent being watched by lab. We are piloting a new method whereby we ask each floor to conduct X number of audits and turn in to our QA person for review. We divided up by quarters, so each nursing unit is assigned a quarter and an number of audits to perform. This has been well received by nursing at a large hospital. We reserved the right to perform audits from Blood Bank on those units that were struggling.

We have a 16-point checklist that the Med Techs use - it has been a good thing to involve the bench techs as it 1) helps develop them as future leaders and 2) helps build a bridge between the blood bank staff and the nursing staff.

We transfuse roughly 10,000 products per year in a 400-bed hospital. We audit about 30 transfusions a month; we do so many per floor/unit based on the average number of transfusions each unit does per year.

In fact, one of our AABB inspectors was so pleased with the tool they didn't even wish to see a transfuion while they were here.

I would be happy to share our checklist.

Wow, I am impressed (or depressed; not sure which) that you are able to do 30 audits a month!! Good for you. While my goal is 2/month, I am doing well to do 2/year! I have the Lab QA Coordinator helping me with those (and his background is Blood Banking so that works out well). I wish we could do more.

We partially use red typnex bands at our hospital (they only use them for patients who do not have a white hospital band; i.e. outpatient transfusions and pre-op patients; my goal is to go "all or nothing" when I have time to take on another battle).

Anyway, a big concern of mine is that when they bring the pick-up card to get blood products on these patients with red bands and the red band# is documented on the card, did they get that number off of the chart, or does the patient in fact "have the red amband on; or even have the red armband with them!" I know that at least in pre-op, when they draw the blood, they put the remaining red armband stickers on the patient's chart. After OR, the patient is on a Nursing unit and still using the blood drawn based on that red armband number. I really feel the need to start auditing those to make sure they are not just getting the number from the chart.

Anyway, that is more than you (or anyone else) wanted to know!

Brenda Hutson, CLS(ASCP)SBB

We have a 16-point checklist that the Med Techs use - it has been a good thing to involve the bench techs as it 1) helps develop them as future leaders and 2) helps build a bridge between the blood bank staff and the nursing staff.

We transfuse roughly 10,000 products per year in a 400-bed hospital. We audit about 30 transfusions a month; we do so many per floor/unit based on the average number of transfusions each unit does per year.

In fact, one of our AABB inspectors was so pleased with the tool they didn't even wish to see a transfuion while they were here.

I would be happy to share our checklist.

Dear Regina

I would like to have a copy of your cheklist please? My mail id is menon_rema@yahoo.com

Thank you.

Regards

rema

I also have an Audit Form if anyone wants to see it.

Something important for everyone to keep in mind (which perhaps goes without saying) is that even if you receive checklists from various people, you will of course have to revise it to match the processes at your hospital. While many things are standard from a regulatory standpoint, there are things (both within the Blood Bank as the unit is being issued, through the actual transfusion process) that may vary from institution to institution. I think it is just important to ensure the facility is following it's own protocols as it is to ensure all regulatory steps are being followed. Just my opinion.....

So basically, it is the creation of a Direct Observation Checklist which includes all of the Key Points.

Brenda Hutson, CLS(ASCP)SBB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...