Surprise inspection schedule

Mabel Adams

The name of the movie is Airplane. When do you send me the check?

[i have a theory that you can address any issue by using a quote from a movie line. Based on that theory, here is my reply:

Good luck! We are all counting on you!

And don't call me Shirley.

Now, for $10,000 and control of the board, what movie?

BC

I actually new that the quote was from the movie "Airplane" but I was under such stress at thought of my pending inspection that I just sat curled up in a ball in my room until it was all over:p. Anyway, it went okay. A few minor things, one of them being a nursing issue, another one being the fact that my thermometer calibration was done a bit late due to some staffing issues but all in all we did good.:cool: Next time I will pay more attention to the movie trivia. Afterall, it is more fun anyway:D

• 4 months later...

I gave my first surprise CAP inspection last week. It was a small lab. I did Lab General and Blood Bank (naturally). It was a very, very thorough inspection, and they did quite well. There was no one in the lab under 50. Not that the kids can't keep up with us old folks, but, you certainly aren't going to pass us up ;-)

BC

Hey, You can't say that. I have been in blood bank for only 4 yrs( and I am under 50:)) and I am AABB assessor, passed my SBB(first trial) and I think we have a very good blood bank. I definetly worked hard to incorporate changes. It was very hard for the old timers to accept Gel then ProVUe.

I think you need to have different thinking ability to be a good bloodbanker or to become good Q A.

• 2 weeks later...

We are due to be inspected by 10/17. Last Friday, CAP called to tell us that we will be done between 10/18 and 11/17. They have a letter stating that your accreditation does not expire. The hospital 20 mi north of us was inspected on the last possible day. The hospital 20 miles west of us was done on the 2nd day of the 6 month cycle. you figure it! CAP also said we would get a call about one hour before the team arrives.

I haven't been informed to announce that I am coming an hour in advance when I inspect a lab. They know we are there when we walk in the door. But, I don't expect the same type of amenities we used to get for scheduled inspections. I am quite prepared to work with no lunch or anything else provided, but so far the hospitals have provided us with meals.

BC

Our CAP inspection is due by 10/19/2007. SO far no CAP team has shown up (we are a multifacility organizations, 5 Hospitals and 1 core lab) a team of 22 people will be comong. not sure when....we were informed by CAP if the inspection team does not shoe up by the due date, our Accreditation will be extended until the inspection is performed..

Also, I am an AABB and CAP Assessor. I have performed few unannounced AABB and CAP coordinated inspections and had a pleasent expereince with the facilities i inspected.

If you run a good blood bank you should always be ready for inspections.

• 4 weeks later...