Transfusion Vitals

bbbirder

I posted this on the AABB Forum also...

I would like to find out what other institutions are doing for monitoring of transfusion vitals.

AABB Standards say just that..."The patient shall be observed for potential adverse events during the transfusion and for an appropriate time thereafter."

I think we are taking too many vitals now (every half hour after the first 15 minutes). We are doing it because we have done it that way for years but we'd like to reduce it. Our pathologists are not exactly comfortable with only doing the 'minimum' to meet the standards (and neither am I). And yet, what are we holding on to?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Linda Frederick

We do baseline vitals, 15 minutes, 1 hour and completion. We used to do every 30 minutes too, until new nurses complained that they had been giving blood at other hospitals and only had to take vitals a few times. I called around to other area hospitals and other children's hospitals (we are a children's hospital) and we came up with what we are currently using. As an AABB assessor, I can tell you that most hospitals I have assessed are doing baseline, 15 minutes, 1 hour, and each hour until completion.