Cerner classic

Many Classic users have purchased the Digi-Trax stand-alone PC Hema-Trax on-demand ISBT128 labeling system. Although Cerner offers our system as an interface for Millennium we can only offer stand-alone for Classic. This can be upgraded at lower cost to our TCP/IP service for Cerner or any other Blood Bank computer system in the future. Information can be seen at www.digi-trax.com

• 2 months later...

Many Cerner Classic users that need to print the many productcodes now needed with ISBT128 implementation have opted to buy Digi-Trax's Hema Trax PC stand-alone systemhas ALL ISBT128 products in the data base. Hema Trax has password protection and a suite of full audit trail reports. You can develop your own "Quik-Pik" list and Hema Trax auto calculates the exp. date for all codes and prints both eye read and bar code. Visi www.digi-trax.com or contact us for a webinar demo at info@digi-trax.com.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

After defining our plan, we started by asking our Red Cross supplier for a list of products they send us. We figured that way we would be able to enter only those products that we actually get. So that narrowed things down. We were told right away that they would never be sending us products with 450ml as the original collection volume, only 500ml. That really helped.

As far as the number of characters for produt codes in BB3, I think we only need to enter the first 5 characters. I think the last 3 are donation type and division characters.

I started off by identifying the product codes that I thought would match what we have built for products. One issue I ran into was having too many isbt codes to enter per product; especially since we'll need to be codabar AND isbt 128 compatible for a while. We found out from Cerner that there is a way to enter extra product codes by writing directly to the tables. I haven't done that yet.

Most of what we have needed so far we have gotten from the Red Cross and ICCBBA website.

I am curious as to what other Cerner Classic users are up to.

Cathy

• 11 months later...

We have all the product codes entered into Certification except granulocytes and splits (divisions). We manually entered each code. Now I have to find out if there is an easy way to transfer the codes into live without reentering each one. The splits are a real problem. Maybe all of us classic users could do a phone conference call with Cerner and hash out any remaining issues. Only 3 and a half months left!!

We are not ready. I have also been working on divided units and aliquots. We irradiate plts and rbcs on site, those modifications seem pretty straightforward. I have identified procedures that need updating. I am working on a spreadsheet for users to to refer to when performing a modification, so when they go to print a new label on the digi-trax printer they don't have to search through the entire database, they can just type in the new product code.

It's hard for me to specify how much time I have into this since I can usually only work on this as the workload permits. :(

We no longer receive non-leukoreduced unit so I didn't worry about entering those product codes. Our most common product is RBCLD. The following barcodes are included in RBCLD: AS-1, 3, and 5; and the codes for the leukopoor apheresis red cell units. So in BB3, I have the barcodes for both codabar and isbt 128. There was not enough room for all of the barcodes (on that one line in bb3) so we were able to write more directly to the table.

We have LDIRR as our leukopoor red cell irradiated product. Within that product, I have the same codes listed as above, except now substituting the irradiated products, again for both codabar and isbt 128.

I thought I had the FFP all set but we recently started accepting FP24 so I'll need to add those product codes.

I think I have my divided products all set now. I am bringing the original product into MOD and creating the AO; then bringing in the original product into MOD again and creating the B0. The volume of the original unit is then at 0 mL, and the original product is disposed. I had been trying to perform this modification using BCB but couldn't get it to work. So the user would then use the digi-trax printer to print two new full face labels. The original product code will remain the same, the user will just have to check off that it is a divided product to print the AO, then the screen stays up so all one has to do is change the divided information and print the label for the second half, the B0.

For the autologous that we collect: We are using a preprinted unit number (with our ICCBBA assigned number) to PIM in the whole blood. Then we type the unit and patient. Then we use BCB to make the autologous rbc and ffp. (We make the ffp only to FDE and discard it.) So on the quick-pick list in digitrax I have the appropriate product code to use when printing a full face label. We only use one type of bag for our autologous draws so this should be easy for the users.

I hope this helps, it's still a work in progress for us.

Cathy

• 3 weeks later...

If you have a particular product in oyur BB3 with codabar barcode prodct code----Did you enter ISBT barcode value in BB3??? IF you can do that then it may minimize some testing.. I haven't tried it yet but my assumption is it should work.

Please let me know if you are doing the same way and it is working or not? did you encounter any problem with specific product??

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question regarding Split product: Once you split product you will print new full face label with same DIN, ABORH(qudrant one and 2 will be same as original product) and product code and expiration date (qudrant 3 & 4, including processed by information on qudrant 4).IS this correct?

How do you deal with the product return to supplier and you receive it again???

How are you dealing with 2nd bag and 3rd bag of apheresis product?

Thank you in advance.

My understanding is this:

Split Products - the new product code would be the same as the original product but with the division characters appended, A0, B0, etc.

Returns - If you return a product (ship out of inventory), your computer system should allow you to bring back in with current avalible status. I don't see why ISBT units would be any different than codabar in this case.

Apheresis Units - Each bag will have a unique product code and should be defined in Cerner as such. Not to be confused with divided (split) products which will contain the division codes.

Another quirk of ISBT is that some pheresis plasma units that are divided by the supplier because they are big enough to make 2 products will come labeled as divided units (with A0 or B0 on the product code). Compare this to the pheresis plts that have separate product codes for each of the expected divisions from one pheresis donation. I don't dare ask why. It meant that our system (Meditech) had to be able to scan in divided products and maintain the division information even though we won't be making any aliquits ourselves.

Split Products - the new product code would be the same as the original product but with the division characters appended, A0, B0, etc.

Returns - If you return a product (ship out of inventory), your computer system should allow you to bring back in with current avalible status. I don't see why ISBT units would be any different than codabar in this case.

Apheresis Units - Each bag will have a unique product code and should be defined in Cerner as such. Not to be confused with divided (split) products which will contain the division codes.

Imagine entering all this codes in CERT, do validation and then enter them in Prodoction??:cries::cries::cries:Need new LIS system,,,,

Another quirk of ISBT is that some pheresis plasma units that are divided by the supplier because they are big enough to make 2 products will come labeled as divided units (with A0 or B0 on the product code). Compare this to the pheresis plts that have separate product codes for each of the expected divisions from one pheresis donation. I don't dare ask why. It meant that our system (Meditech) had to be able to scan in divided products and maintain the division information even though we won't be making any aliquits ourselves.

Thank you Mabel. We do get pediatric units from NYBC with 8 parths with same DIN#....A0, B0, C0...H0. I didn't try this yet.

I checked ISBT technical document.....With Split products...first time you split the product parent unit becomes A0 and first split is B0...then if you decide to split parent unit again it will be Aa, Ab, Ac....etc.

Cerner classic doesn't have this capability...How we are going to meet ICCBBA requirement of labeling a parent unit A0 after first division....I do not know if our computer doesn't have capability to do this...is it OK to label 1st aliquot as A0, 2nd as B0...and so on.

Pat we need your help!!!!!!!:cries::cries::cries::confused::confused::confused:

I'm not sure how it works in Cerner Classic. In Cerner Millennium you can divide the parent unit into divisions A0 and B0. A0 can have the syringe or pedi volume, and B0 can have the remainder volume. The parent unit now will have a volume of ZERO. The next split(s) will come from B0 to make Ba, Bb, etc.