Anti-A and Anti-B titer in O group platelet

Eagle Eye

What is your Policy on issuing group O platelet?  

1. 1. What is your Policy on issuing group O platelet?

• NO such policy.
    • Perform anti-A and anti-B titer for all group O platelet.
    • volume reduction.
    • O platelets can be given to only O patients.

What is your policy on giving group platelet(SDP) to non group O recipient?

DO you determine anti-A & anti-B titer for all your O SDPs?

WHat is your SOP on performing Anti-A and anti-B titer? RT? or IAT?:confused:

What is your critical titer where you decide not to use that O SDP to non group SDPs?

Thank you for your help. I know I can count on my friends who are willing to share their knowledge.

• 3 weeks later...

None of the above policies...we avoid giving Group O pheresis to a non O recipient when at all possible...there are times when a Group O pheresis is the only type available...then it becomes the transfusing physician's call...usually this occurs in an emergent situation in the OR.

We try as much as possible to give ABO compatible platelets, but this is often not possible since our demand far exceeds our supply (and we have to collect all that we transfuse!). For neonates, ABO compatible is required -- if it's not available we give volume reduced. If an apheresis unit is known to be high-titer, we label it to be used only for group O patients, but don't have a policy or practice of doing titers routinely.1

We perform an anti-A and anti-B titer using a 1:100 dilution on all O apheresis platelets. We incubate at RT for 15 minutes. If the result is negative, we use the unit for non-O adult patients.

Just wondering... from all of your experiences... what percentage of group O plateletpheresis have an Anti-A titer of less than 1:200? How about the anticipated titer values of Anti-B in a group A or O plateletpheresis?

I'm at a pediatric hospital and we spend a lot of time volume reducing platelets when we do not have plasma compatible available - which is often for group B and AB patients. We are using >45 kilos as the limit for which we no longer have to volume reduce incompatible platelets, but I am wondering whether maybe titering the product would be a better (maybe even safer) way to go. Even though we use the methods suggested by AABB, I always wonder about the final quality of the platelets after we take them through the volume reduction process.

Please e-mail me if you have some experience with this.

Thanks! Sheri Goertzen

sgoertzen@childrenscentralcal.org