Inventory Reconciliation Schedule

We reconciled our inventory physically daily. This served several purposes:

to help us manage our short-dated inventory levels,

to track our directed and autologous products and release any directed products to general inventory on a regular basis (once the intended receipients were discharged),

and to verify that all blood issued in our transport coolers had been tracked correctly.

I am not aware of any specific standard addressing the frequency that physical and electronic inventory levels agree.

While we reconcile our inventory daily (start+in-out = end), we physically verify our inventory against the computer printout weekly. There is no regulation that I can think of regarding reconciliation, but you need to visually verify the condition of your stock daily and record it somewhere.

Our daily inventory reconciliation makes sure no product has slipped throguh the cracks. It has to balance every day.

And of course, you need to follow your own SOPs regarding inventry control.

How often do you reconcile your physical vs computer inventory of blood products? Daily? Weekly?

Is anyone aware of CFR or AABB standards that might govern this process?

Thanks.

We reconcile our inventory of red cells daily. Other blood products are done monthly. I am not aware of any standards that cover this process. However, this method does detect units that were not issued in the computer which some consider to be an FDA reportable event.

We do a computer inventory daily. We reconcile the computer and physical inventory weekly. I have found that the computer inventory is sufficient to catch the units that were issued physically without being issued in the computer (which is FDA reportable - they have a code for it). Usually the physical inventory catches missing cryo units, most of which were pooled and not entered into the computer (which I don't think is reportable, but I'm not sure about that...).

We do an inventory reconciliation every day on our red cells. We have a smaller sister hospital which we supply with blood products so this is very important to make sure that units weren't transferred to them without actually being transferred in the computer. We do FFP on Mondays and Fridays, and we do Cryo and Rhogam on Mondays.

We serve several facilities apart from our main blood bank and I was wondering how often we might reasonably ask them to reconcile their electronic and physical inventories. It seems that a daily reconciliation is a fairly standard practice.

Thanks to everyone who shared their inventory intervals!