Horizon Blood Bank/Mysis Blood Bank

We are currently a Mysis Lab with the transfusion service module -- I really, really like the Mysis system. Our hosptial has "decided" to go with the "one vendor" concept housewide - they have chosen McKesson. We just got back from our first week in California where we trained on the Horizon Blood Bank by Wyndgate product. I am major-league concerned! Workflow seems very difficult in the Horizon BB (HBB) system - lots of fields to manually populate that are not automatically populated by the HL7 interface - component preparation seems awkard and in some cases absent (ie. reconstitued whole blood for exchange transfusions on neonates is not a product choice), - I could go on --

My question - is there hope? Has anyone made the switch from Mysis to HBB recently and if so would you mind sharing your insight and observations with me? I would really appreciate it!

Many places are making the same move you are. There is light at the end of the tunnel. You are getting one of the best systems on the market today. We have managed many implementations like yours, feel free to contact us with any questions you may have. We also work very closely with McKesson.

• 1 month later...

We have gone from a paper system to SafeTrace Tx at my current job (I have used Cerner classic and Meditech in other hospital blood banks). SafeTrace Tx does require attention to blood bank. It also is great on safety needs for our blood bank. We set up the tables to fit our SOPs, and it has cut down on many clerical & clinical errors that may have occurred without it. The generalists that float in and out of blood bank find the system backs up our SOPs well, forcing them to do what they were not doing in previous blood bank paper or computer settings. Once you use this system, it makes you more confident that the right results and components are going out safely.

• 4 years later...

Wyndgate was its own entity. Mckesson just happened to use their blood bank software (safetrace tx) and named it Horizon Blood Bank. Wyndgate was bought out by Haemonetics. Haemonetics is keeping the same software and Mckesson is still bundling their Horizon Lab and Horizon Blood bank and saying its one vendor.