Blood Bank Automation

Guest Donna

Guest Donna

I am interested in automation for a transfusion and blood bank service.

We currently are tube typing.

Does anyone use the Ortho Provue?

We are a midwest teaching institution. We transfuse approximately 29,000 units per year and we use Ortho's ProVue. The techs like the system as it gives them more "hands off" time for other things that need to be done. What else are you interested in knowing about the ProVue system?

We use the Ortho Provue. It is very convenient for large batch testing (OB and pre-surgical). By running the Provue, it frees up techs to do other work. We did an extensive validation, and have seen that on occasion antibodies can be missed (mainly K, and E). We use the manual gel as back up, but so far, we have not had the Provue go down for an extended period of time.

We have been using Immucor's ABS2000 since 1999 and can't imagine life without it. We are looking forward to the next generation coming from Immucor. The Galileo is a little big for us but the new one coming out next year will be a great fit for small to medium facilities. You should be able to get a look at it at AABB this year. And, No I'm not on Immucor's payroll, just know what works for us.

We recently went live on the ProVue and I have encountered several issues and would like input from others.

We do a large number of cord blood types. I have found that the anti-A and anti-B in the gel card do not react nearly as strong as tube typing. A 4+ in tube is often a 2+ in gel. The gel card frequently shows cells in the bottom of the gel column like the antisera does not react with all the cells.

The other issue is that the DAT on cords picks up Rhogam more frequently than tube typing. We have also had several cases of Rh neg moms who have been given Rhogam and who show a negative antibody screen. The cord blood DAT on their Rh pos baby is showing positive when there is not an ABO incompatibility and the only obvious cause is the Rhogam.

We use the Provue. Right now we are using in for batch runs; prenatal T&Ss, pre-op T&Ss, outpatient DATs, etc. It is very cumbersome for doing our inpatient work as most of it is Stat. The Provue works best if you set up all of the same type of test at once. When you combine different types of tests it slows down to a crawl. The software is not very user friendly, but once you learn your way around the fields it works well.

We are using the ProVue and it has helped the work load

very much, especially the second shift. We place about

85-90 percent of our work on the Provue and rest is done

with the MTS system.

We went straight from tubes to the ProVue. It did take a bit of adjusting, but I am happy with our decision. The 2nd shift loves it. I use it primarily, doing manual gel where needed.

To Sue Miller

I have some questions about doing Cord Bloods on the ProVue. How are the samples being collected? L&D can't use pink tops because the sterilization process required for anything present in the delivery room will affect the EDTA. They are considering collection by syringe and then a nurse transerring into pink top.

You could respond directly danders@stillwater-medical.org

The facility that I work at has used two ABS2000 for over 5-years and have found them to be like having two extra techs that just do types and screens for the blood bank 24/7 (minus one hour each day for QC). It is great to have this type of automation available. The Capture system is more sensitive, we've found antibodies sooner as newly developing and antibodies in patients at lower levels that would have been missed by the tube method. This has helped in reducing our over all transfusion reaction investigations. We a currently looking to the Galileo to increase our throughput and expand testing capabilities.

We are in process of validating/training Immucor Galileo. Staff is very excited and looking forward to having it live. We did look at both Provue and Galileo - Galileo has more versatility as far as test menu, is continuous access and therefore readily accepts stats without disrupting the run. (We are a large trauma center.) A big point for our administrators is that the operating cost is much less than Provue. For the capital cost: 1 Galileo meets our needs, but we'd need 2 Provues.

• 3 months later...

we like our Provue and would not go back to manual for anything. Our techs were very relactant even negative at first , it all changed and now they can stand it when it goes down. We find it more sensitive in general and are trying to learn how to interpret the results. Cord blood still come in Purple tops and are transferred to another tube , they often have clots.

Ortho's customer service could use some improvement.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

ProVue is good for routine, non STAT work. Wonderful for antibody id's. Would not recommend use of Cord Blood on ProVue. Clots are a huge issue. Additionally, contamination is an issue (Wharton's Jelly).

Is anyone using ProVue with Meditech? Are you interfaced?

We are interfaced.....'uni-directional' for group and screens only (still need to manually put in crossmatches and panels). We still tell the Provue what to run, then when the batch is done it is sent over to the Provue. Works great!

We don't do cord's on ours.

Donna

look after the Tango optimo !!it is an very userfriendly fully automated walk away system . If you need some more information come back to me

:)

We use Immucor Galileo - went straight from tube to automation 3 yrs ago. As John said above, I can't imagine life without it now. We looked carefully at both Provue and Galileo - you need to define what you're looking for to make a decision. For us, the continuous input was more important. We would need 2 Provues to handle our workload, but only 1 Galileo. Also the Galileo is much cheaper to operate. The Echo is another attractive option for those who think the Galileo is too big. See if you can tour some lab where they are currently using the instruments you're interested in. It helps to see it in action and talk to users. Good luck.

We have had a ProVue for 3 years and don't have a problem adding stats onto it. We do everything on it except cord bloods, it rocks for panels. Adding stats is a matter of reading the screen and knowing when the pipetting sequence is done.

It has increased our efficiency by roughly 50%, everyone loves it, esp evenings and nights, it is truly walk away. Techs are freed up to do more complex tasks and no one is missing lunch/dinner anymore!

• 2 weeks later...

Immucor gave their presentation to hospital administration yesterday regarding the Echo. We are currently evaluating the Echo vs. Provue. We've seen the Echo in action and the users said they couldn't live without it. I want to also see the Provue (due diligence), but I was very impressed with the Echo's flexibility with adding STAT's, turnaround time for type and screens, ease of use overall which the off-shifts will love, and customer-changeable parts. It seems like this instrument would suit our needs very well. The only down part I see is that we use Meditech and their interface is still in beta-testing.

If we get approval to purchase the Echo, do I still follow through and at least give Provue a shot? My organization is not known for approving large purchases like this, but they seemed very receptive, especially when I mentioned how much money we'd save in reference lab costs.

We looked at both the Provue and Echo, and I think the Echo wins hands down (at least for our lab and the way we do things.)

We'll be purchasing one in the future. I also have a concern with the interfacing since we use Meditech.

Linda Frederick

• 2 months later...

We are using ProVue and Meditech. I need details regarding the interface. When our ProVue was purchased, we were told there was no interface. On BBT, I keep reading about an interface. How much actually transmits from ProVue to Meditech? Uni-directional or Bi-directional? Individual reactions for each mictotube, or just the overall interpretations?

anti

• 2 weeks later...

We are using ProVue and Meditech. I need details regarding the interface. When our ProVue was purchased, we were told there was no interface. On BBT, I keep reading about an interface. How much actually transmits from ProVue to Meditech? Uni-directional or Bi-directional? Individual reactions for each mictotube, or just the overall interpretations?

anti

We have Meditech 5.5 and a Provue.

We are uni-directional for group&screens only. We print out crossmatches and panels and enter them manually.

Uni-directional for us means we select the G&S batch and send the results over to Meditech by clicking an icon.

Blood group: the full group microtube results and blood group interpretation are sent over (unless results 'don't make sense').

Antibody screens: the microtube results are sent over but we have to manually interpret (which is a good thing .... for patients with previous antibodies we make a result comment about the previous Anti-___ beside the negative antibody screen result.)

Hope that helps!?!