Blood Bank Instrumentation

johna

Coming from a reference lab environment I generally don't get too much of a feel as to what the transfusion services are using in the area of instrumentation. Our lab branches have several locations using the Rosys Plato as well as a couple with the Olympus PK-7200 but neither of these instruments seems very applicable to a transfusion service.

Ortho's gel system automation seems to have gained some popularity but from what I understand it may be a bit pricey on a cost/test basis. Both the ABS2000 or the Galileo seem to be viable alternatives to gel.

In any case, would someone who has evaluated and/or is using automation in a transfusion service care to comment?

We have been using the Rosys Plato for a few years now in our transfusion service. We have a very large volume of samples and it suits our needs well. In a few years we plan to upgrade to either the Galileo or the Olympus Tango. Both have the capability to interrupt the current cycle to run STAT samples. Rosys cannot do this.

• 3 weeks later...

We are currently using the ABS2000. It is a good instrument, but it is a batch analyzer and operates much more slowly than a tech. It's biggest advantage is that you can set it up, walk away from it, and get other work done while it processes. We use it only for type and screens.

We have ordered a Galileo, which is more of a STAT analyzer (as mentioned above). I have not done a recent cost analysis, but when I originally decided to go with the solid phase, it was considerably less expensive. Immucor did not raise their prices quite as much as Ortho did (although the price increase was astounding, as has been discussed in another thread!), so I suspect that the differential is still there.

We just ordered a manual Capture system, only 100 bed hospital. Hope we can find ways to batch so we are not too wasteful. We currently reference all antibody work-ups and this system will hopefully bring most work back in house. Looking for easy ways to validate. Thanks

We've been using the ABS2000 since Oct. 1999. We would not have been able to survive the past 6 years with out it. Our work load has increased far beyond predictions while our staffing model was forced to stay the same. The ABS2000 made this possible. We currently test 85 - 90% of our Type & Screens on it, to include stats. I am now in the process of trying to justify the Galileo but have heard rumors of a new model targeted to fit between the ABS2000 and the Galileo. Can't wait to see it.