RBC product volume

Dawn

Do you indicate the volume on issued RBC products?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do you indicate the volume on issued RBC products?

• No
    • Yes, always
    • Yes, sometimes

We just "guesstamate" the volume of RBC's, which is printed out on the compatibility slip. On CPD "short draws" there is a specific volume written on the bag and that is entered in to the computer. For neonates and ped's, we weigh the RBC's and give a more specific volume

• 1 month later...

Each product has an associated average weight attached to it. This average weight is automatically listed on the transfusion tag. In some cases, the actual weight is required. In these cases the unit is weighed and the weight noted on the transfusion tag.

• 4 weeks later...

Life used to be so easy. We had default volume set in Misys (Sunquest) to reflect the majority of differences: CPDA was 250, Adsol was 300, and CPD was usually low volume with an actual weight printed on the label. Neonates get their pedi bags weighed. Now, we have these wonderful "Twin Apheresis RBCs" where the donor gives 2 RBCs at one time and each unit has its own special volume which must be hand typed. Just another nightmare for training the generalists. I'd vote for a disclaimer that says, "hey, it's a Red Cell, be happy you got one...Volume between 250 to 400 mls. " Kidding of course. We also type in specific volumes of platelets and FFP, however Cryo defaults to 20 mls. each per the blood center (lately, that is very optomistic..10 is more like it!)

Hi everyone,

My facility has chosen the volume of "330"ml for each unit of PRBC that is distributed to the floors. I have found that this number is no where even close to some of the units that are issued. The Blood Bank cannot tell me what document or article provided this number and I would like them to change it but I don't have any proof except for my own measurments. Can anyone suggest a resource article?

Appreciated

Rick Raley CCT/CCP

• 2 months later...

Nurses like the volume of the product, so they can set their infusion pumps. But unless you weigh each one and convert to volume, any ballpark figure may lead to large discrepancies with the one they have in their hand.

We tell any nurse who calls that a packed cell is 325 mL +/- 10%, and they seem happy with it.