Pooled frozen cryo

Cliff

The Blood Center of Southeastern Wisconsin (soon to be the Blood Center of Wisconsin) has been preparing pooled cryo for years. They prepare pools of 5 units each, but also make pools of other sizes for certain customers. As far as I know, the pooled cryo isn't licensed, so the products remain in Wisconsin.

I don't work at the blood center, so I don't have firsthand knowledge of their practice. When I worked at Community Blood Center in Appleton, Wisconsin, we QC'd our individual units of cryo by testing pools of 4 units. This practice satisfied both AABB and FDA regulations.

Hey Cliff,

Our blood supplier Florida Blood Centers (aka CFBB) also supplies us with 10 packs of pre pooled frozen cryo. I do not know what QC they do, before they ship to us.

But we in the Blood Bank do no QC. Boy does it save us time. We still keep about 9 individual cryo for orders less then 10.

Cliff,

At the Blood Bank of San Bernardino we pool 8 units of cryo and refreeze the pools. For QC, at the time of pooling, we aliquot off a single cryo equivalent (approximately 20 mL) from 4 units. The aliquots are refrozen and shipped to the ARC for Factor VIII and fibrinogen testing. We also ship 4 single units. The remainder of the QC'd pools are labeled to indicate the potency of 7 cryo units but with 8 donor exposures. Our pools are FDA licensed.

Colleen

You have to be registered with FDA to do this. In fact, I don't think you can thaw and refreeze, the pooling has to be done before it is frozen. I would say not to do it unless you file an amendment to your registration. We have just started to get pooled cryo from our supplier.

With our process, we harvest the single cryo units from frozen plasma units, pool 8 of them, then refreeze the pool within 1 hour of harvesting. So they are pooled prior to freezing. If we thaw single cryo units, then pool them, we do not refreeze the pool.

I don't think you have to be FDA licensed to thaw/pool/re-freeze cryo as long as you are going to use it yourself and you perform adequate QC.

I wish more blood centers would prepare the pooled frozen product. We would certainly purchase it.

I guess my concern is as Nancy pointed out, is it allowed to that and refreeze? Is it even a viable product?

I guess the intent is to pool directly from the thawed FFP. Since we don't manufacture cryo here, I suspect this may not be an option for us.