Stem Cell Processing

Would like to speak with anyone working with stem cell processing, cryopreservation and transplants.

Many facilities have Hematopoietic Progenitor Cell Processing Labs as part of their Blood Bank Dept.

Would like to speak with someone who performs this service on a regular basis, to share questions and ideas. Thank You! Angie

• 4 weeks later...

Hi diloro and welcome to the Donor Limits forums!

I am part of a large facility, and we have close relationships with the stem cell and gene manipulation lab. One of our donors centers also collects PBPC.

Feel free to post your questions, If I don't have the answers (and I probably won't :roll: ) then I'll contact some coworkers and have them post too.

Thank you, Clifford, for your response.

Question: We perform sterility cultures on plasma-lyte A reagent used in stem cell processing and cryopreservation upon opening reagent and at end of week after processing patients. This is mandatory by FACT regulatory guidelines.

We alo use ACDA as a prophylactic anitcoagulant before cryopreserving stem cells to decrease the risk of product clotting upon thaw at time of transplant.

Many pts./donors are sensitive to ACDA during apheresis collection of stem cells and require Ca++ gluconate administration which causes binding (clots) if additional ACDA is not added to stem cells.

There is not criteria that I know of that requires sterility testing of anticoagulant reagent involved in stem cell processing.

Does anyone else in hematopoietic progenitor cell processing labs encounter this?

If so, what criteria are they adhering to, if any.

• 2 months later...