Blood Bank or Pharmacy?

bmarotto

We had a discussion about this in the past, and as I recall, it isn't absolute that it is a pharmacist is in charge of it or must review it, rather that it was a qualified, licensed practitioner.  A patholgoist meets those requirements.  I wish I could quote the actual regulation, but I can't find it now.

Linda

We had a consultant in last year looking at pharmacy functions and his opinion was that pharmacy did indeed have to have a finger in the pie. We still get the orders for and issue the RhoGAM, but pharmacy gets some kind of report through Paragon. They then review/sign off on the cases, though I'm not sure in what kind of detail.

The then pharmacy director came to me at the time asking for a quarterly report for the temps of the storage refrigerator - very detailed reports. I showed him what we were doing daily and asked him if I could do a summary report with reference to my detailed daily Blood Bank report rather than starting yet another report. He mumbled and grumbled and I've not heard any more on that subject. All of this was in reference to Joint Commission. We are due for inspection very soon, so it will be interesting to see what happens.