Blood Bank or Pharmacy?

bmarotto

• 3 years later...

We send RhoGAM to our clinics by courier for outpatients (pretty rare event). On our end, it is signed out as a transfer to the clinic. Once given, the clinic sends back a completed control form - we can then document which patient received that vial in case of recall. If a clinic patient needs RhoGAM on a weekend/holiday, the patient is seen in the ER (quick visit) for administration of the RhoGAM. Most patients in need of RhoGAM would be seen by the OB/Gyn clinic who makes their own arrangements for RhoGAM through a local pharmacy.

All from blood bank at one set of hospitals, onlt RHIG for the other. Years ago (before DRGs) when I tried to transfer the albumin to pharmacy I was told by lab administration that it was revenue for the lab. Not so any more.

It seems that years ago pharmacy did not track the products (lot numbers to whom given) very well. Now they all have the pharmacy systems so it should no longer be a problem.

RHOGAM was put in the BB(1968) because you had to crossmatch it. This was also before fetal cell screens were available.

My main question with this thread would be for the sites who do issue the clotting factors (not so much RhoGam), how does your computer system handle it? We are in the process of moving toward SoftBank and there are real issues with the inventory and issues of clotting factors. RhoGam does not seem to be an issue at all.

Thanks,

Laura

BTW,

1. Albumin - Pharmacy

2. Clotting Factor concentrates - Blood Bank

3. Rh Immune Globulin-intramusular - Blood Bank

4. Rh Immube Globulin-intravenous (WinRho) - Blood Bank

5. IVIg - Pharmacy

We use Sunquest and must use the volume billing function since most clotting factors must be billed by the international unit.. So, if a product contains 558 I.U. the billing code must be sent to the hospital system 558 times. We have to make sure when the product is entered that the number of I.U. is in the product volume field.

• 6 months later...

Hi, I need help. Our pharmacy about a year and a half ago said we could no long stock RhoPhylac in the Blood Bank as it was a drug. So they now buy and stock it. We do the testing, tell the floor how much to give then Pharmacy said they should bring it down to the lab to be issued and charged to the patient. We issue it as a product with a billing code and charge. Same set up as at our OB clinic, except there it is built as a test and charged that way. Now pharmacy says we need to associate that with a NDC code as it is a drug, which I thought they were doing.

We have MediTech 5.65 what do you charge and how do you set it up in blood bank for RhoPhylac. I would prefer Phamacey do this. Thanks

Terri, you said "now that it is considered a drug"... I was unaware of that Rhophylac was considered a drug!  If this is in the standards, would you please share which one.  I am reading this from home and am off work for the weekend now.  I'll have to do some internet searches.

Rhophylac is the only product listed that we dispense from the blood bank, but ironically, a TJC inspector dragged blood bank into pharmacy's record keeping with albumin a few years ago!  Thankfully, pharmacy kept the albumin and we didn't have to take it over.

1. Albumin - Blood Bank
2. Clotting Factor concentrates - Blood Bank
3. Rh Immune Globulin-intramuscular - Blood Bank so we can trace who has Rh prophyaxis
4. Rh Immune Globulin-intravenous (WinRho) - Blood Bank
5. IVIg - Blood Bank

Only product shared with Pharmacy is NovoSeven. Blood Bank keeps the bulk but Pharmacy has some too.

The FDA considers Rh Immune Globulin a drug that requires review by a Pharmacist. They have given it an FDA Pregnancy Category of C. I don't think the FDA cares who distributes it, as long as there is some type of Pharmacist approval.

Edited by tbostock