Electronic Crossmatch

Dawn

Is your facility doing electronic crossmatches?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Is your facility doing electronic crossmatches?

• 6 months later...

We have the Meditech system which is not yet approved by FDA to perform electronic crossmatch. We do, however, already use the system to perform a variation of the electronic crossmatch (ABO/Rh compatibility check with subsequent assignment) for those products which technically do not require crossmatching (i.e. RBC aliquots for infants < 4 mo. and autologous units.) 07/14/04

We are implementing a new computer system which will allow e-xm. The problem I am facing is that administration (the bean counters) don't want to lose the revenue :lol: from being able to bill for the IS - xm's we are currently performing. Does anyone know if there is a move towards being able to bill for e-xm?

All that I have heard about electronic crossmatch is that since you are not really doing any testing, you can't bill for a crossmatch. Maybe at some point there will be a CPT code for the electronic xm. The revenue reasons and the billable tests are why we haven't looked at it also. Our facility decides staffing by billable tests and I'm afraid I'll lose a tech if we don't have these billables any longer.

• 8 months later...

We are planning to go to electronic XM in a year or two when we go live with our new computer system. The loss of revenue when switching to electronic XM has been a concern for us also. We plan to make up for some of the loss by charging for the 2nd ABO/Rh test done on the patient. Currently we perform a 2nd ABO/Rh but it is a freebie. :cries:

We transfuse 35,000+ units of red cells per year and ALL of them are serologically crossmatched! In the long run, electronic XM should alleviate some of the chaos around here.

The loss in revenue is an issue for all of us. I do not expect that a new CPT code will be given for a non-serologic test. I also do not think that you can charge the patient for a second ABO&Rh typing. This is considered a QC test and you could run into compliance issues with a double charge to the patient. Good idea, but we looked into this charge and we were told by CMS that we could not charge for this.

• 2 weeks later...

Losing the revenue was a concern. I believe we will soon see some reimbursement for electronic crossmatch. Ours is a labor issue. The electronic crossmatch allows us to get blood out the door quickly. It really is a labor savings tool. If you are like us, you aren't going to get new FTE, so this is a valuable tool.

I realize there's a lot of concern about lost revenue when the e-xm is used, but in reality it seems that in a large percentage of cases reimbusement is based on DRGs, etc. that consider the diagnosis rather that actual testing done. My experience with the e-xm is very positive -- it saves lots of time, especially in surgical & emergency cases when extra units need to be done. I hope to help institute it in my current lab as soon as possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Our blood bank has been performing the electronic crossmatch since 1996. In this time we have performed more than 300,000 electronic crossmatches without a failure. I believe one of the biggest advantages of the electronic crossmatch besides improved TAT is patient safety. When demand for blood is high techs can spend more time accurately labeling the product rather than spending time labeling and cutting segments.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Our transfusion service has been doing electronic crossmatches since 2002 using Cerner classic. This is a very large and busy transfusion service with the usual staff shortages. Electronic crossmatch has been one of the best changes made in our lab since I've been here. I do believe that there is going to be a CPT code for Electronic crossmatches this year.