Specimen centrifuged with red cells above plasma

Mabel Adams

Has anyone seen a specimen where the red cells were above the plasma after it was centrifuged?  The patient was in cath lab and then went for a CABG.  I asked our Pharmacy intern to research what meds he got that were more dense than red cells and they said, "the only two agents that are denser than RBCs on the patient's MAR are Calcium chloride (100 mg/mL) and Isovue".  The Isovue contrast material is not charted for before the specimen was drawn but later during the CABG.  I suspect that is the culprit. His Hct here looks to be about 25% but the redrawn specimen had a Hct of about 45 so I think there was very dense IV fluid in this specimen.   Does anyone have similar experience?  BTW, this plasma created very junky reactions in gel and interfered with the tube reverse type.

image.png.9453e62300c24629383de11964763e7d.png  image.png.c7182ac4359ab67076e07d74b7988489.png