Beaker Result Entry

Angela S.
Go to solution Solved by sgoertzen,

This is a long post, so bear with me :)

Background: We use Wellsky and Beaker!

Our hospital is bringing up a program to transplant incompatible hearts in kiddos <2 years of age. When we do ABO testing in Wellsky, it only sends over the interpretation of the type to Beaker.  The physician team wants to see the strength of the reactions in the back type, as they are using this information, along with titer info, to make decisions of blood exchanges intra op on these kiddos.  These samples may arrive for "back typing" multiple times throughout the surgery as they continue to perform these exchanges. 

My question is this: I know we normally DO NOT enter any blood bank results directly into Beaker, but is there any regulation anywhere saying that we cannot create a new test code in Beaker and result it as only a backtype? We want to keep it out of Wellsky because these backtypes are expected to result in an ABO discrepancy, and we don't want to deal with ABO issues for these patients. 

Anyone got any ideas on how you would handle this situation? All feedback is appreciated!

We just recently went to WellSky and Epic/Beaker 3 months ago. It has been a huge learning curve, trying to figure out what interfaces correctly and how. I have had to manually put in interps in Beaker at the beginning due to interface issues. It is definitely possible to do. I would guess you could get a test code made for just Beaker, but it sounds like the easiest way to go about it would be do result your actual reaction strengths as a comment that they would be able to see. We have a few tests that we result only in Beaker as a "see comment" and then put what is needed in the comment section. Mostly for reference lab test, like antibody titers, KLB's, etc. 

I am not sure about the whole guidelines on only resulting it in Beaker to avoid an ABO discrepancy work-up though. Sorry.  Hope this helps somewhat. 

• Solution

I work at a children's hospital and we use WellSky and Epic/Beaker.  We built an orderable test called "Isohemagglutinin Test and Titer" specifically for reporting out the presence and strength of Anti-A and Anti-B.  This test is not affiliated in any way with the regular patient Blood Type test.  It's mainly ordered at my facility to monitor and follow patients with immune deficiencies or who have had an ABO mis-matched bone marrow or stem cell transplant, but it sounds like it would also meet your needs with heart transplants.  I've attached our procedure and worksheet.  This is how the results display in Epic.  If you're interested in building something like this, I can put you in contact with our WellSky & Beaker IT gurus who built this for us.  My contact is sgoertzen@valleychildrens.org 

image.thumb.png.dc0df574d6674830f1afbb5549b802eb.png

image.png.8306897d45ba873e80348adfd8acde2c.png

TO-310 Isohemagglutinin Workup - Test and Titer__uncontrolled_copy (1).pdf TO-310F01 Isohemagglutinin Test and Titer Worksheet__blank_copy_id_7905995.pdf