Confirm anti-D (vs anti-G) via titers?

monopolova

Hello all,

If you had a patient who appeared to have anti-D and anti-C and titers between the two were quite discrepant, is that sufficient evidence to effectively confirm anti-D?  This assumes that anti-G, if present, would react with cells containing the C or D (and G) antigens with similar titer (which I do not know to be true, but perhaps someone on here does know this).  Perhaps the G antigen is represented in different quantities on RhD vs C antigen bearing cells ....

Thank you! 

it is usually unadvisable to assume anything in blood banking, especially when it comes to how antibodies behave. I don't have experience on how anti-G react with RhD vs C antigen positive RBCs, but I have seen many anti-e (allos and autos) giving stronger reactions with R1R1 vs other e+ phenotypes.  I would go ahead and do anti-G studies to confirm whether is an anti-D or anti-G....I'm curious to see how other would think of this.

It is usual for the C+, D- red cells (e.g. r'r) to react with an anti-G more strongly than a C-, D+ red cell (e.g. R2R2), BUT, this is by no means "diagnostic".

As Jsbneg says above, it would be far safer to perform the proper tests, to ensure you have ascertained the correct specificity/specificities.

The attached PowerPoint may or may not help (ignore if it is not helpful).

The G Antigen and Anti G.pptx