Validating a Credo Operating Room Cooler

MillieH

We use the credo operating room containers. The container should be able to sustain 1 to 6 degrees celsius for 10 hours with the plates in them. We use this for surgeries when they need 1-6 units of blood or plasma , and it is not optimal for them to keep running back and forth to the blood bank. 

1) We store the plates in a sub zero freezer.

2) We keep about 2 sets of the plates in a 1-6 degrees fridge.  They are good in the fridge for about 40 hours.  After the 40 hours, we put them back in the freezer. 

3) They need to be in the freezer for about 12 hours before they can be used or be placed in the fridge.

4)  You need to wait about half an hour or so before you can use them after you take them out of the freezer. Because obviously it will be too cold if you use it right away. 

So yeah, to validate that it is working, measure the temperature inside the container for 10 hours. 

I attached the product sheet. Good luck. 

Credo Operating Room Container Product Sheet.pdf

Edited by SbbPerson

I'd recommend using a continuous temp tracker to validate those.  If you're not conditioning the panels correctly (thaw for so long after they are frozen, then maintain refrigerated) some of the units can get below 1C.  I was always able to validate for 12 hours, easier to calculate the cooler expiration time.

We do......

Here's our "process".  First - our panels are frozen @-20(ish) for a minimum of 12 hours.  After they have been frozen, but before use, we "condition" them at RT.  Basically that means we let them sit at RT for about 15min.  after that, we check the temperatures of all panels.  If between 2-5C, they are placed in the refrigerator where they can be stored for up to 72 hours before we have to re-freeze and repeat the process.  

When it comes time to validate - we take the refrigerated panels, place them in the cooler.  Then we place 8-12 units of refrigerated red cells and/or plasma (expired) into the cooler.  The probe of a "Global Sensor" is placed between 2 units.  (the digital display of the Global is left outside the cooler - attached by a sensor wire).  Cooler is left for, at minimum the time frame you want your coolers to be "good" for (ours are 10 hours) We usually let ours sit for 12-15 hours minimum - after which the temp. data from the Global is downloaded and printed.  If all the temps are within acceptable range for the desired time - it has passed QC/validation.  We also do this with any "new"/replacement panels or inserts.

It seems convoluted, but, we do ALL our coolers like this and we have at least 5 different kinds of coolers (with a total over 200 inserts/panels that have to be QC'd validated) We divide and conquer.  We divide the insert inventory in half and QC them every other year and all staff members are required to complete a minimum of 4 cooler validations per year. (we have about 28 staff members that this applies to)

Somewhat related question..... I need to replace the liners in my Credo coolers and order a couple of RT TICs. However I haven't been able to make contact with their sales people over the past year. No response to phone calls or emails. Can anyone give me a contact with someone that can help us?

Thanks!

46 minutes ago, AMcCord said:

Somewhat related question..... I need to replace the liners in my Credo coolers and order a couple of RT TICs. However I haven't been able to make contact with their sales people over the past year. No response to phone calls or emails. Can anyone give me a contact with someone that can help us?

Thanks!

Attached is the website and customer service number if you haven’t tried those. Good luck Credo Operating Room Container Product Sheet.pdf