Transfusion tracking in Epic

I've received a lot of complaints on how transfusions are tracked for the doctors and nursing teams.  Those of you on Epic, how are you tracking transfusions as far as start/end and vitals?  One request was to add it to the MAR as a medication.  This looks like the transfusion tracking utilized in Sunrise Clinical Manager.  It's a scrolling timeline with meds listed vertically.  I know Epic is super customizable so there has to be a better way than what we are using.

We do use BPAM.  How does that information populate/record in Epic from BPAM for you?  It's the nurses/doctors who are having issue.

Right now our BPAM doesn't interface with our LIS :eek:  Will be rectified in the new year with a new LIS. :)

There is a Prepare order that transmits to the Blood Bank LIS and a matching Transfuse order that is used as part of BPAM.  They open the transfuse order and scan in the patient information and then the blood product information.  It also captures vitals and adverse reactions - we use a functionality of "Screen Shot" that displays cumulative transfusion records which are hyperlinked to the Transfuse Order (that's my best interpretation of BPAM without actually using the program).

The nurses have to have training to use it and buy into it for it to work best but it's a permanent record that can be seen at multiple facilities that are part of a multi-facility healthcare system.

We currently use the blood admin snapshot and BPAM.  I'm curious to if we can include it in the MAR medication admin module.  That's the screen nurses use most and blood admin would fit will within it.  It's a scrolling timeline that is visually very user friendly.  I just don't know if that information is something someone in Lab (me) can see for transfusion information. My problem with the snapshot is that with it being something rarely used for most nursing units, completion audits are awful.  I've even found a unit left in "currently transfusing" status for over 48 hrs.  

We have a Blood Administration Flowsheet where all the vitals, start and stop times, flow rate, volume, etc. are documented in a timeline fashion the flows horizontally across the chart.  We've had no complaints.  We do not use a blood admin snapshot.

16 hours ago, MelCraft said:

We have a Blood Administration Flowsheet where all the vitals, start and stop times, flow rate, volume, etc. are documented in a timeline fashion the flows horizontally across the chart.  We've had no complaints.  We do not use a blood admin snapshot.

This is what my facility uses.