Rural area lab staffing

cheru26

Finding a qualified lab tech is extremely hard in rural area.   For those who server rural area hospital laboratory how are you managing staffing issue.  Do you guys use non lab educated ( Biology, chemistry ) graduate to work as tech? 

Any comment/suggestion is welcomed 

thank you  

We allow non-lab degrees for some micro positions only, with the intent they can sit for the micro categorical exam.  We also use H1B Visa sponsorship programs.  That's a couple things we've done to help.

The problem we're running into is that with CLIA competency requirements, we don't have very many people who are qualified to evaluate competency.  We have a lot of MLTs and new MLSs.  The MLTs can't assess mod. complexity tests and the MLS need 1yr of experience performing the test to evaluate. Blood bank is the most intensive competency to do, so having at least one evaluator per shift is ideal.

I'm a BB sup in a small regional med center. 

There has been quite a few H1B Visa lab techs that were hired from the Philippines in the last couple of years. Most of them are pretty good workers. We also have been hiring travellers.  That's basically it.  The last couple of years have been pretty rough. At least I have been getting so much over time. I was able to buy a bunch of toys like guitars and gadgets and go on vacations and stuff. 

6 hours ago, SbbPerson said:

There has been quite a few H1B Visa lab techs that were hired from the Philippines in the last couple of years. Most of them are pretty good workers. We also have been hiring travellers.  That's basically it.  The last couple of years have been pretty rough. At least I have been getting so much over time. I was able to buy a bunch of toys like guitars and gadgets and go on vacations and stuff. 

Vacation???? I'd settle for a day off without being called in because we have no staff coverage in the blood bank. :no: