Getting archival data from Safetrace 3.13.0.1

Our blood bank is exploring a move to Softbank.  However, the build quote only includes the upload and verification of archival data.  We have to supply them with the archival data.  One route to obtain this is "through internal IT resources."  Wondering if anyone has any experiencing extracting data from Safetrace/HBB for use in Softbank.

I am aware of the format and file type needed by Softbank.  My concern is how to extract it in the first place.  Haemonetics is being less thank helpful.  IT would like some guidance by someone with experience.  We want to make sure it is or isn't doable in house before we spend money on a third party.

We did this exact process. We paid Haemonetics to extract the data and put it in the format that Soft needed. They were extremely less than helpful, so I feel your pain! Our internal lab IT team ended up having to modify so much of what Haemonetics provided us, we may as well have done it ourselves. Even though we were paying Haemonetics to do the extract, they took FOREVER to complete each part of it, requiring our LIS team to modify the files into the Soft formatting at the end, so we could stay on track with the project. Also, lesson learned: SafetraceTx filed all of our cord blood tests as a valid blood type, and these were all included in our extract. We started electronic crossmatch when we went to Softbank, and found out a few months in that cord blood types were being counted as a historical type.....so we are now in the process to remove those from the Softbank BSA, a process we are having to pay Soft to help us with. Our LIS team told me to make sure you review any files that Haemonetics extracts for you very carefully. There were formatting issues all over, and Soft's format for the upload is VERY specific, and a bit odd. Our LIS team says if you're not already familiar with the Safetrace tables, it might be more difficult to do this yourself. They also recommend getting Soft involved early, to ensure that the formatting is correct and the data you're intending to pull is valid. Our LIS thought they could have done this project themselves, in retrospect, but they also are very adept at Crystal report pulling from the SafetraceTx tables, so knew where to find the info. The concern was how long it would have taken them to do the extract themselves. Let me know if you have specific questions, we may be able to help guide you if you go it alone! 

Edited by jshepherd

Thank you for the info!  Very reassuring about trying it in house.  So far one quote I received was $40k and 4 months, for under 60k patients.  It's not even a GB of data, so I think that's wild!

I may have to reach out again as we get more into it!  

• 3 weeks later...