Remote temperature monitoring

TMGal

According to CAP TRM.42750, component storage units with an alarm are monitored 24 hours/day either in the lab or remote. My question to the group is, would a 3rd party outside of the lab be considered remote? I interpret this to mean it does; however, I would like to hear from others. Thanks...

I'm curious on what you consider a 3rd party outside the lab.  The engineering department within the hospital could be considered a 3rd party out side the lab but I personally would consider them acceptable because they could react immediately to the alarms.  If you are referring to someone far outside the facility that would be considered a subcontractor I would be hesitant to consider this acceptable but that's just my opinion.

:coffeecup:

We would be referring to a 3rd party vendor outside of the hospital - the current situation is the equipment is set to remotely alarm by the nursing desk and they complain about the alarms going off and it makes it difficult for lab staff to perform quarterly alarm checks. The lab is staffed 24/7 so if the equipment alarms in the lab, it would be heard and attended to. 

Agree with Cliff.

The alarm at the nurse's station would, I believe, be considered as a 3rd party under CAP as it is outside the lab's direct control. Years ago, before we had 24 hr staffing in the lab, we had a similar set up with the alarm in the telephone operator's booth. That position was staffed 24 hrs. The problem was that the operator didn't always respond to an alarm or didn't respond in a timely manner. During a CAP inspection the alarm was triggered in the blood storage refrig and the operator didn't respond. It was day shift and when asked, she said she didn't call because she assumed someone in the lab would respond to it. We were cited because we couldn't demonstrate adequate alarm response.  If you are using nurses to respond, you could face a similar citation if they don't follow through with notification.

21 hours ago, TMGal said:

The lab is staffed 24/7 so if the equipment alarms in the lab, it would be heard and attended to. 

So, why, pray tell, does the alarm even sound at a nursing desk?  This is quite unnecessary and obviously inconvenient for all involved.  If the reason is, as usual, "that's the way be been as long as anyone remembers", it's time for a change.  Hopefully you can get this easily rectified.  Good luck.

:coffeecup:

Edited by John C. Staley
grammar correction.

I've experienced remote alarms that were monitored by facilities crew.  Even though the lab was 24/7.  Facilities even did the alarm checks.  Seemed to work pretty well though I had to tweak that system while I was their temp manager.  Alarm probe in freezer in the air - they wanted it to be sensitive, well it was.  The chart looked like a supernova explosion.  I told the medical director if I was inspecting they would be tossing everything out.  Once we put the probe in 50% glycerol the system worked pretty well.  I still did weekly checks on the documented temps for both refriges and freezer.  Otherwise, I agree, if you are 24/7 there is no need for a remote alarm.