Refusal of Blood Products

Hey everyone,

We have a Refusal of Blood Products policy and form for a patient to sign if they so choose. We are revamping both of these, to ensure they are clear, concise and understandable. I have been asked to see if anyone uses some sort of decision aid for patients to make this choice. What I'm thinking that means is: something that will help educate the patient about blood products to help them decide what kinds they are willing to accept or not. We already have an informed consent process in place for blood consents, but we all know that all doctors do not speak as clearly and correctly as all other doctors! We're wanting to standardize this information so that we are sure patients are making an informed decision to refuse. 

Does anyone have a great one-pager, or a video, they use maybe?

Thanks! 

I have never utilized such a document on the laboratory side of things due to liability issues.  Nursing or physicians have always been responsible for developing their own documentation and the lab reviews it for accuracy.  It's great to see that the lab is being included in this process though, it could really smooth the way for better patient care!