Units (about to expire) transfer from one hospital to other

frenchie

Are there anyone here accepting red blood units from other (not so busy hospitals) that are about to expire (ie within 7 days of exp.) in order to maximize blood utilization? We would like to do this at our facility and the medical director is wondering if we should request the temp charts copies... or we should just go with trusting the lab and as long as the units are properly packaged according the ARC requirements? If so, do you have a procedure in place? Thank you!

At a hospital I worked at (long time ago) we received short dated products from several smaller facilities. There was an official agreement between participating hospitals and ARC, who provided transfer forms. When we received units we checked boxes on the form for correct packing, in temp and unit numbers. We kept a copy of the form, a copy went to the transferring hospital and a copy to ARC. So definitely a procedure as the transferring hospital received credit from ARC for the units transferred (unless they did not arrive in temp).

We do accept product from other ARC facilities. The contract each facility signs with the ARC specifies how products are to be handled and I would think that this would apply to any blood supplier. The transferring facility completes the ARC transfer form that includes an attestation that states that the product was stored properly. We verify that the products were packed correctly for shipment and that the temp of the units when received is OK. That inspection is documented on the packing slip that ships with the products, including date/initial by the receiving tech.  I think another point hat can be considered is the fact that the other facility has been inspected by someone - state, CLIA, CAP, AABB, TJC, possibly their blood supplier, etc. - that inspection would include their blood storage records and practices. Maybe I'm naive, but I figure I can trust that unless I have evidence to the contrary. (I am not FDA inspected or I might give you a different answer.) If product comes in that doesn't pass inspection, we reject it and I notify the facility and our ARC hospital representative.

Transfers that come in with another patient are an entirely different thing.

Edited by AMcCord