Cyber Attack

Darren

My hospital was cyber attacked and we've been down for about two months now. The end is in sight and it is the opinion of my boss that we will be manually entering all results from those two months into the LIS. Everything. Lab, Micro, path, BB. Thoughts? My thoughts that it is horribly unsafe and that all results should be scanned in and manually charged has fallen on deaf ears.

Edited by Darren

My sympathies, Darren. That's a horrible situation.

It's generally accepted that the best way to minimize HUMAN error is automation (with the proviso that the systems are well designed). If a LIS allows post-dated entries, it would seem logical that "scanning" would be the best option to back-fill the missing data. And, probably a lot quicker.

If one is forced to perform manual data entry, the process should probably include a second check (verification), preferably by a second individual.

Either way, not fun for anyone. Good luck.

That's a tough one.  As a patient I like to see my results in a graph over time.  If I've been coming to you for my cancer treatment for the past two years and there is a two-month gap, that would be disappointing.

As a black and white person living in a grey world, the OCD person in me would want the results entered.  Maybe hire temps to enter and verify by a tech?

We manually entered results after a 9 day down time. Manual entries were verified before they were pushed from the LIS to the HIS. There was a special work group that came in on a weekend and worked long hours to do it, then worked charges after that. Nine days worth of data was a mountain. I can't imagine doing 2 months worth considering staffing issues. I would vote for scanning. We can scan into the lab results section in Epic. It wouldn't be graphed, but it would be accurate.

I have experienced down time for one shift. Each tech in the BB manually entered their own work when the LIS was back up. It was much harder, stressful and time consuming than expected. I do not want to imagine the logistics of two months of data. While manually entering the data would be ideal for the reasons Cliff wrote, after AMcCord’s description for entering nine days down time; I vote scan it, scan it all