Crossmatching using automation

cthherbal

11 hours ago, Mabel Adams said:

We have for IgG XM but not IS.  The latter is very fast in tube and we don't do it except during computer downtimes and some rare occasions.  We use the electronic XM for most.

We are the same here.

We use Immucor ECHO Lumena and, as of right now, it does not do the IS XM. If it did, I would absolutely validate and run them on the automated platform. The reason I say that is because of the staffing and competency issues we are currently experiencing and is forecasted to only get worse. I cannot keep consistent blood bank techs in the blood bank and the generalists, who are often new and weak, do not remember to do the IS portion. I am constantly having to remind them and perform the retroactively. Sure, I can write them up each time but then I would have no one to work the blood bank. Having that on automation eliminates the problem. I did the same with antigen typing, cord bloods, unit retypes, and anything else I could move to automation, simply to make it easier for the generalists. It also provides peace of mind and a level of safety, where I can go back and clearly see what was done. No more wondering whether they added plasma to the tube or not. 

Just my two cents.

Sorry for my ignorance, I have never used the vision. Would you need two different cards, one for IgG and one for IS? If the cards exist why could you not validate their use? As jayinsat said automation helps the generalists especially when short staffed or they are inexperienced. 

IS XM in Ortho gel uses the neutral card, while IAT XM requires the IgG card. We don't currently stock the neutral gel cards.  Our small hospitals are gel-only so any IS XMs needed there are done by using the neutral wells in the ABD/Reverse card that were intended for the reverse type.  They do these maybe once a year at most.

1 hour ago, Mabel Adams said:

IS XM in Ortho gel uses the neutral card, while IAT XM requires the IgG card. We don't currently stock the neutral gel cards.  Our small hospitals are gel-only so any IS XMs needed there are done by using the neutral wells in the ABD/Reverse card that were intended for the reverse type.  They do these maybe once a year at most.

It sounds like IS XM can easily be part of a hospitals automated system using the neutral card. Do/can the results move over to the LIS when validated?

On 4/4/2022 at 5:25 PM, Mabel Adams said:

We have for IgG XM but not IS.  The latter is very fast in tube and we don't do it except during computer downtimes and some rare occasions.  We use the electronic XM for most.

Same here.  It wasn't that long ago when Electronic XM's weren't a thing. I find it so amazing how far technology has "improved" blood banking in a relatively short time.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2022 at 6:29 AM, Ensis01 said:

Sorry for my ignorance, I have never used the vision. Would you need two different cards, one for IgG and one for IS? If the cards exist why could you not validate their use? As jayinsat said automation helps the generalists especially when short staffed or they are inexperienced. 

FDA approval came through last year.

• 1 year later...

Buffer cards/ IS XM are validated for detecting ABO incompatability.  The IGG card has not been validated to detect all possibilities of ABO incomp per the IFU.  The Vision can be configured to perform ISXM and IAT XM simultaneously.