Patient identification during computer downtime

ffriesen

For those of you who do not use an additional blood bank armband, how are your blood bank specimens labeled during a computer downtime when you do not have access to electronic scanning for patient identification (PPID)? Are they just handwritten with patient name and date of birth or do you use any additional identifiers?

We don't use blood bank armbands at all (never have as far as I've been told).  For our specimens during downtime we require 2 sets of initials, the date and time of collection on a demographics label that they can generate during downtime.  Or if no demographics label then the full name, MRN and DOB plus the 2 sets of initials, date and time of collection would work as well.

I'm guessing you are referring to demographic labels generated from the information system when they are admitted? What if it's a new patient being admitted or from the ED and the system to register new patients is down as well? Do you have a back up registration system that assigns a MRN?

At the last hospital I worked, we only used BB armbands during downtime. Our downtime box contained all manual forms and the armbands. During downtime a tech went round and ensured departments like ER, ICU L&D had some (plus examples on how to use). The departments that were less likely to transfuse during downtime were informed to come to BB to collect if a transfusion needed. This process was repeated after shift changes and the RN first and last names were taken during these calls/visits (including spelling).   

We were lucky to use embossable armbands that were Biologics prior to St. John's.  Unfortunately, these armbands are no longer available.  This box will last us many years, I'm sure.  When they are all used up, we'll be going to the red Blood Bank wristbands that are available.

Currently, we use the MobiLab system -- when hematology specimens are labeled with these wristband labels, we are able to use those specimens for blood bank purposes so that the patient does not have to be redrawn.

On 2/13/2022 at 9:58 PM, Ensis01 said:

At the last hospital I worked, we only used BB armbands during downtime. Our downtime box contained all manual forms and the armbands. During downtime a tech went round and ensured departments like ER, ICU L&D had some (plus examples on how to use). The departments that were less likely to transfuse during downtime were informed to come to BB to collect if a transfusion needed. This process was repeated after shift changes and the RN first and last names were taken during these calls/visits (including spelling).   

We use Mobilab as our normal positive patient ID process.   Registration has a system where they can generate visit labels during downtime without the MR number, so during downtime we have prenumbered armbands and write that number on these demographic labels.