Positive Culture on Platelet Unit

jojo808

So the facility we receive our Platelets from recently added anaerobic culture to their process. Several months later, we receive notice that one of the units tested + on day 5 of anaerobic testing for propionibacterium acnes. I wanted to know how others are reporting this to the physicians. The unit was transfused, no ill effects were noted in clinic notes and the patient was discharged prior to my receiving the notice. I do want to be careful on how to approach this because you all know how something like this can be taken out of context and then you hear that the lab gave out contaminated platelets. Some of you will say let the pathologist decide or let the donor center provide direction and that is the kind of information I would appreciate but can you also elaborate on details and the outcome and how you close out a case like this. Thank you very much in advance!!!