Temp of units while receiving to inventory

pbaker

How does everyone ensure that red cell units stay within temp while receiving them into the BB inventory?  Do you designate a time allowed from removal from the shipping box to placement in the refrigerator?  Do you take temps somehow?  Do you document anything anywhere?

20 hours ago, pbaker said:

How does everyone ensure that red cell units stay within temp while receiving them into the BB inventory?  Do you designate a time allowed from removal from the shipping box to placement in the refrigerator?  Do you take temps somehow?  Do you document anything anywhere?

Is there a new checklist item that is asking about this? Otherwise, I see no need to record this. We do not record the temp when it is out for antigen typing or any other tests. Why do it here?

There is no regulation that I know of.  I had a tech ask the question.

I know, back in the dark ages, when we labeled blood products by hand, we documented the temp when we took the batch out of the walk-in and the temp when we put it back in.  And we actually labeled whole blood IN the walk-in.

I take units and place them in the refrigerator.  Being an all paper BB, I fill out the paper forms and then compare w the actual units as the processing continues.  I never have more than 6u out of the refrig at a time.  My temperature study indicated that Leukoreduced rbcs reach 10C within 15 minutes of being out of the refrig so we make certain that they stay cold.

If the blood center packs per their SOP there should not be an issue. That being said I once opened a box of RBC and was surprised to find no ice, units were very warm. Units were immediately replaced, follow up was taken out of my hands but did involve photos and many phone calls over the next week.

Edited by Ensis01

• 3 weeks later...

Years ago while visiting a blood collection facility in China, they had a refrigerated work bench, stainless steel kept at 4 degrees C. They also used open refrigerators like you see in the grocery store (for meat) which I thought was quite clever.